Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
MikeyHagerty
My Carrier: Verizon

Help! Playbook OS upgrade blew me away - cannot connect to Desktop SW anymore

I got notice of an OS upgrade and accepted it.  After upgrading the OS and upgrading the Desktop and Driver on my Win 7/64-bit laptop, I can no longer successfully connect my Playbook to the Desktop Manager on my laptop. 

OS is 2.0.1.358

BB Device Manager is 7.0

BB Desktop SW is 7.2011 (Bundle 38)

I have done everything I can thing of, rerunning the process 12 times without joy.   My Playbook says, "Connected to Computer" and I can see the CD directory, but the Desktop SW says, "Disconnected" no matter what I do.  I have tried multiple USB cables, rebooted both the PB and the laptop numerous times, yet each time I attempt to connect, the Desktop SW says "Disconnected." 

I am hoping, since I made sure not to check the box to delete everything when I reinstalled the Desktop SW, that the pictures and apps I had installed on the initial version of 2.0 have not been tossed.  Apparently, the AppStore does not keep track of what apps I have bought or installed previously, so I think they are all lost forever.  I can reload many of the pictures I had on it before, but some I haven't transferred may be lost forever.  I am not seeing a "safety net" - heck, my Amazon account remembers everything I put on my Kindle.

I had been doing a full backup via the Desktop SW every week, just in case, but if reinstalling the Desktop SW dumped everything I am going to have to find a safer and more reliable means of backing up in the future.

If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.  I really would like to get my PB back into working order, preferably with all the apps and pictures I had on it before...

Mikey

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hBickenbach
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Help! Playbook OS upgrade blew me away - cannot connect to Desktop SW anymore

Maybe disabling any antivirus software may help.

------
My W-Lan is completely secure. Wether I nor a hacker would use it with a playbook :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MikeyHagerty

Re: Help! Playbook OS upgrade blew me away - cannot connect to Desktop SW anymore

Disabled the firewall, suspended AV, killed every process I could while still leaving the machine running.  None of those helped...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hBickenbach
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Can you start the "firmware recovery"-mode  ? (Connect  playbook powerd off to pc, then a message for recovery will appear?)

------
My W-Lan is completely secure. Wether I nor a hacker would use it with a playbook :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mikeplaybook
My Carrier: 3 aus

Hi ,I am having the same issue with my pc not connecting with the playbook.I am having to send mine off for repair,as my camera is not working ,as well as the pb not being recognized by any computers I have tried.

On the issue of apps you have downloaded or bought,there is a record of everything you've downloaded on appworld,if you can get onto that <then go to My world and you can reinstall your apps.from there.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MikeyHagerty

Mikeplaybook wrote: On the issue of apps you have downloaded or bought,there is a record of everything you've downloaded on appworld,if you can get onto that <then go to My world and you can reinstall your apps.from there.

Thanks, Mike. I will sleep a little better knowing that. Really appreciate the information.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mikeplaybook
My Carrier: 3 aus

I have a solution from the knowledge base that worked on my piaybook.one of our computers runs vista,and it worked on that,but one running xp still won't work.on vista you go to START >CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>hardware>Network Adapters.the playbook should be listed as Rim network Device,if it is diabled,right click to enable.I had to search for drivers and windows downloaded them directly from the net,and it all works now.not having the same luck with xp yet. Cheers.
Please use plain text.