Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
bigpolly
My Device: Torch

Help, can't access vital websites on my new PlayBook

Got pb specially for Internet with Bridge when on boat in Italy.  Works great for email. But vital that I access my bank, and another password protected website. I can't do either.  Get General System. Error for bank and the other sites just redisplays password screen. Last year I used anipad with a local sim and had no trouble what can i do?

I don't even know who to ask.  Isp is O2 but bought pb from Amazon. It is useless for me if I can't access these two sites. Am on the boat now so no access to another computer.  Please help. I have checked that cookies are enabled and I have tried both the basic browser and Fast Browser. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Help, can't access vital websites on my new PlayBook

[ Edited ]

There is another browser in BB World called Maxthon, it's free and is an Android port. I'd try it. I have no idea if it will work. It doesn't support Flash. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/98559/

Also, there is another browser being developed by a very talented coder over in Crackberry's forums called OrigamiBrowser  http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/origamibrowser-experimental-release-809048/  which is an experimental release to date but looks extremely promising. I am running version 0.5 and I quite like it. It does support Flash. I have no idea if it will work for you and it is NOT available in BB World yet...you have to sideload it onto the PlayBook until it is finished being developed and released on BB World. Anyhow, if you need to learn how to sideload, go to YouTube and watch videos on it (use DDPB and PlayBook search terms) to get you started. DDPB can be downloaded for free from their official site: http://ddpb.dauden.vn/

You'll also need JAVA installed on your computer: http://www.java.com/en/

In the end, I have no idea if this will help you but it's worth trying. If you do download these browsers, please update this thread with your experiences. It may help others.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bigpolly

When you say need Java "on your computer" do you mean on the PlayBook? I am very unsure about the extent to which the PB is a computer! I will try the.browsers when I can. Many thanks for your reply.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

in order to side load you need java on a PC, not playbook.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

I have no problems accessing bank sites to do bank business. I use the basic browser that came installed on the PlayBook. It was never an issue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mh1983
My Device: Playbook Wi-Fi 16 gb

Agreed -- no problem accessing sites here on native browser.

I'll second the Origami browser, though. It's an incredible browser and is still in early beta; well worth trying out!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

There is also Dolphin browser available and I'm using version 9.4.1 which is awesome. BB World has v 9.2.0 which is free but not near as good as 9.4.1 but I had to download the Android APK file and convert it to BAR for the PlayBook and sideload it with DDPB. Its free too. But it rocks and you can change the browser user agent to Ipad or Android and rid yourself of hassles. There is no Flash available in it. In fact only native coded apps will have access to Flash on the Playbook. This is why I strongly suggest Googling OrigamiBrowser and learning to sideload apps. Its NOT hard. YouTube is full of useful videos on this stuff and it turns the PlayBook into an awesome tablet when you get apps that extend its functionality. in short look into DDPB and GoodEReader and you'll open up a very useful can of worms. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

bigpolly wrote:
When you say need Java "on your computer" do you mean on the PlayBook? I am very unsure about the extent to which the PB is a computer! I will try the.browsers when I can. Many thanks for your reply.

Java needs to be installed on your PC computer. The PlayBook interfaces with the computer and allows the uploading of apps to the tablet from tbe computer. This is all explained through YouTube videos from GoodEReader and I'd suggest going to YouTube and searching for GoodEReader and PlayBook. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bigpolly

Thanks. Problem is I'm on a boat and don't have access to a pc. When I do get back home I'll look at the side loading.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

bigpolly wrote:
Thanks. Problem is I'm on a boat and don't have access to a pc. When I do get back home I'll look at the side loading.

OK, good luck when you return - it's not hard and YouTube is full of useful videos on the subject. Enjoy yourself on your trip.

Please use plain text.