Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
fastartcee
My Device: PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Help please... I can't backup my PB

I'm trying to do my first backup.

I'm running BB Desktop, my PB is connected, and my password was accepted. I can browse through the files on my PB, so I know the connection is good.

When i hit the backup button (with 'Custom' selected) after about a minute I get the error message "Loading of backup content failed', and then the process stops.

If I select 'full' backup, after about a minute I get a different error message: ...check to see that the device is on and connected. But it IS on and it IS connected!

I've tried to reboot my PB and re-run BB Desktop, but backup always fails, and I'm getting very frustrated.

Have others experienced this problem? Could somebody please help me?

Thanks.

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: Help please... I can't backup my PB

There is a known bug with the backup.
May I suggest that you use the usb cable and mount the playbook as a drive. Thru windows explorer, you can go into media and copy your data to you hard drive.

After that is done use the desktop manager and do a selective backup of just your app data.
Any apps purchased from app world can be re-installed thru app world.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

Thanks, aandras... I'm TRYING to do a selective backup, but I'm getting the error message (and the program stops) before I can make the selection of what i want to backup. IE, the data categories list is never populated.
Forums Veteran I
aandras

Make sure you are using the most up to date desktop software
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

aandras...  I downloaded the latest version of BB Desktop just a few hours ago, and installed it on my desktop machine (after Backup failed on my laptop). But the same thing happened. Before the 'data types' list was populated, the error message, in red "Loading of backup  content failed", and then the backup program stopped.

Could this be caused by a 'bad' app, even though all my apps came from PB App World?

Forums Veteran I
aandras

Please try the following.
1. Go to the setup menu (little gear top right corner.
2. Select Security and Sharing.
3. Turn off Wifi sharing.
4. Make sure file sharing is on.
This may help.
Regular Contributor
fastartcee

Re: Help please... I can't backup my PB -- where in hell are you, RIM?!?

Nope, that didn't help, either.

I also tried a hard reset of my PB  ...didn't help

I also tried uninstalling all the apps I have downloaded & installed  ...didn't help

I am getting really PO'd at RIM for not having someone monitor this forum and provide answers! It's unbelievable that something as basic as backup won't work! This is **bleep**ty!

New Contributor
cohste
My Device: Passport; Playbook

i have had the same problem. i contacted RIM, who said that it was a known issue.  This has occurred 3 times with me, and i have subsequently given up hope that i can do a back up.  they walked me through a full re-install and it solved the problem, then it reoccurred after a software update. the same thing happened 2 more times, although i dont think that a software update was involved 1 of the times.

it seems like this is not an isolated problem, but RIM does not feel that it is widespread enough to address... hmmm.

i also agree that it would be helpful if a moderator helped up resolve this issue.

Regular Contributor
fastartcee

I gave up on creating a backup, took the OS2 Beta plunge, and, so far, everything ( well, almost everything) seems to be working.

A big thanks to all those who tried to help!

Thread closed.
Developer
peterb222
My Device: Playbook & Torch

not solved