Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
LuvmyPlaybook
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

Help with downloading newest OS version 2.1.0.1088

I have been trying for over a month to download and install the newest OS software. I am not a engineering geek and don't know what I am doing wrong. I have followed all of the protocols: my playbook is plugged into the wall outlet, I have my wi-fi connected and I start to download. The download takes over an hour but it completes the download every time. However, the install aborts after about 400mgs and tells me to RETRY. Today, I tried to download and install again, the download completed after about 1 hour then the installation began and went all the way to 479 mgs then aborted and said  to RETRY again! This is maybe the 10th attempt over the last 30+ days. What is wrong? I am very frustrated. I checked some forums on Crackberry and several people said they had 70mgs in the upgrade. I have had my PlayBook for a year now and absolutely LOVE it. It does just what I want it to do, but I am afraid if I don't keep the operating system updated I will start to have problems. Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do differently?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Help with downloading newest OS version 2.1.0.1088

Several things here.  First, if your device is working fine the way it is then you can ignore the update. 

Second, the size of the update depends on the version of the OS currently installed, so just because someone's is 70MB only means they updated to the version that came out just before 1088.  Don't worry about that.

Third, How much free memory is on your Playbook?  Look in Settings >About.  Change the dropdown box to Hardware and look for free memory and free storage.  If memory is low that might cause a problem.  Also, you might try restarting the Playbook and see if the problem persists. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LuvmyPlaybook

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have 580.9MB free memory and 53.6GB of free storage. I don't keep alot of stuff on the tablet--just some pictures and I haven't downloaded a ton of game apps. I use my PlayBook like a computer and I download books from my library to read. I have tried restarting but that hasn't worked yet. I noticed on an earlier forum that some of the problem might be my wi-fi carrier at home. I am at work today and that was when I tried to download again and got all the way to 479MB installed before it croaked on me. I don't know who is the wi-fi carrier for our school district, but most of our schools are heavily into technology use--Ipads, Ipods, and multiple laptops. So maybe it is my wi-fi connection(s) that is the problem?

My current software version is 2.0.1.668, which I thought was the previous version. I don't have a Blackberry phone right now, so I really don't need any bridging abilities, nor do I use my PlayBook for business. I use it as my personal computer. So maybe I really don't need this particular upgrade. But what happens with future upgrades? Won't it just be a bigger download?

I know I have a VERY sophisticated tablet in my PlayBook, even if I only use a small percentage of its technology. Having used Ipads in the classroom, I am even more in love with my PlayBook. Because I have only used PC's before, I find the PlayBook much easier to use than the Ipad. When and if I go to a new phone, I will be looking seriously at the new Blackberry coming next year, since it will use the same OS as my PlayBook.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Your free memory is fine. That's obviously not the problem.

I agree with you whole-heartedly on the Playbook v. iPad. I have them both and much prefer my Playbook if it wasn't for some work-specific (aviation related) apps that the iPad has that no other tablet has.

As far as whether you should upgrade or not, I don't see a big reason to upgrade. The old addage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has a lot of merit. As for future upgrades the upgrade size will be about the same.

As for why it won't install I do not know. At this point, it may need to be debricked in order to get the update but I don't think it's worth the hassle. If something comes up down the road where you want/need the update come back and we can help you through that process. Otherwise it's fine to skip the upgrade for now.

Hope that helps

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LuvmyPlaybook

Ok. Don't know what "debricked" means. But I will go with the "if it ain't broke..." Thanks, John.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

If you decide you need the upgrade we'll get you acquainted with it. Its not hard to do but there's no sense in risking any data loss if you don't need the update.

One thing I try to stress to all PB users: don't let the battery go dead! Youl be back here trying all kinds of tricks to try and get it back.

Good luck!
Please use plain text.