Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Horrible Wi-Fi performance - Hardware issue?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've had my Playbook for awhile and I've been having extremely slow Wi-Fi speeds. It's definitely way too slow as buffering even 360p on YouTube is choppy. Speedtest.net reports that the device is getting 2.5Mbps down (higher than I thought to be honest) and my Android tablet gets 18Mbps down. I always thought it was just the poor performance of the device, but I saw a few review videos recently and noticed that they're actually usable; mine is not. I've already ruled
out that it's my router by connecting with several different routers (heck, even in different cities too). Wiped the devices a few times, upgraded, tried different programs and no luck.

I tried to email, but it bounced back and I couldn't register for support as I've had the device for over 90 days (horrible, horrible idea making a timeframe for reporting problems). Phone support wants me to register it online, and again I can't because of the time limit.

Seems to be a somewhat isolated problem, thought Blackberry might want the device back to look into it. Let me know.

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Horrible Wi-Fi performance - Hardware issue?

Look at my tips on wifi

Speed-up-BlackBerry-Wi-Fi-connections-a-knottyrope-tip

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook , Curve 8330
My Carrier: Worldline and Bell Pay as You Go

Your WIFI performance mirrors mine . I suspect it is the BROWSER and the WIFI driver  and not the WIFI connection .I have noticed the Playbook can not even see some access points that my other devices can find  I have had Issues were it would not connect to specific routers (Mostly Robbers{Rogers})provided hardware  I have the same redundant error trying to register for support . Their is no way I know to reach a human interface , and I am further disabled by not having Touch Tone service on my Land Line . I have been browsing Big Fruits website and their Service and Warranty policies are much more lenient and economical  . 

Peter

Customers are a Nonrenewable Resource .

Highlighted
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

I had horrible wi-fi connectivity too way back when. Haven't had it since though since it ended up being my wireless router settings. Look for my thread on this post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/WLAN-Problem-since-2-0-1-358/m-p/1914499#...

I have some screenshots even.

Anyhow it was my router settings. It seems once that was fixed, I've not had a problem with any wireless device since. I know what you're going to say too...it's not happening with any other device so it's not my router...and I'll say, yes it is (well sort of, the PlayBook is very fussy)...been there done that, tested it and spent hours on this and successfully fixed it for me. Your router may be different but I'd see if you can match up and mirror settings. Let me know how that works. Good luck.