Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Developer
jaweba
My Device: Not Specified

Hotspot wifi

Could someone explain why the playbook and torch can not login in to the hotel wifi ie the Fairmont hotels. I have not been successful at two hotels. Whereas my wifes iPad has had no trouble it's embarrassing! The only error I get is connection timed out. I don't get the hotspot web page that is suppose to come up.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rutibrom
My Device: none

Re: Hotspot wifi

Verify that your Playbook's time matches you wi-fi network time.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaweba

I will check that...but why would that make a difference....I know ipads limited security...but the ipad works and my playbook and torches dont
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rutibrom

If connecting to the wifi network requires installing a root or authentication certificate, it might expire before you are actually able to use it. This happens when connecting using using PEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, or EAP-TTLS.

If you haven't installed any certificate contact the hot-spot admninistrator.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
balticbeau
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800; Plackberry PlayBook

I conducted an experiment on this issue and believe it's a bug within the PlayBook that RIM must address, for I tried many suggestion without any success. If you're interested in what I did, look up my post.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaweba

I have looked at network time and that didnt solve anything. I have tried connecting from the settings icon on the home screen and that does nothing...same error "connection timed out". I have read there is supposed to be a hotspot button or screen that pops up with a hotspot button but have never seen either. Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaweba

Just a note on the hotspot button ...after connecting to my home network the hotspot button shows up...this is from the settings icon from the home screen. So I am not sure about the network settings at Fairmont...wifi is not connecting to router so its not ever going to give the hotspot login or feature via the Playbook. This also is the same for our Torches as they would not connect to wifi. So ipad works and PB ...frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rutibrom

[ Edited ]

So i'm guessing you go to settings and the hotel's wifi network shows up automatically, right? When does the "timed out" message appears? Right after you try to connect? Does it ask for a password?

In btw, have contacted the hotel's admin?

By the way, balticbeau, your experience although interesting only resulted in creating the hypothesis the there might be a bug that prevents playbook of connecting to some wifi networks. I dont think it is enough to such a hypothesis and remember that your BlackBerry smartphone connected to all the networks, while in jaweba's case his Torch is having the same problem.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaweba

The hotel ssid shows up...when I hit connect it does its assoicationg  then a message comes up connection timed out. Never gets to the point where you get the login page. On the laptop it brings up the hotel login page where you enter you room number and name.  I contacted the admin and they restarted there system as well disabled login feature for my mac address and that did nothing still "connection timed out" error.

Please use plain text.
Retired
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Hey Jaweba,

I have a quick question, have you tested a different Wi-Fi or Hotspot connection? 

Thank you. 

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.