Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

How do I... show numbers 0-9 above the "querty" keyboard letters top row

Appreciate if anyone knows the answer to this...

Sometimes when I am entering text, the numbers 0-9 appear in one row above the top letters row ( the top row is "qwertyuiop") but most of the time this doesn't happen (the top row shows "qwertyuiop", not the nujmbers 0-9). Why does this happen?  I can't remember in which cases the numbers popped up, meaning I can't remember what APP or DOC I was typing into at the time the numbers shown up.... but I would like to set my keyboard to ALWAYS show the numbers 0-9, just like on a QUERTY keyboard, since then I do not have to TAP the "123 sym" key to get keyboard keys with numbers 0-9.

P.S. I'm still working on solving another problem, the one I posted about, on how do you get a ppt to "play" (not "view" or "edit" I  mean, but "run") automatically when it contains audio files particularly. When I solve this one I will post the solution, hopefully soon.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: How do I... show numbers 0-9 above the "querty" keyboard letters top row

The screen you would like only appears when doing certain tasks. Most of the time it does not appear.
About the .ppt files, there was a posting within the past week regarding the exact topic you mention. Maybe if you use the search function you might find it. I will see if I can and let you know if I find it. That would be great.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

Ya, that's my own post there on the ppt "but does the PB play the ppt" issue (answer is no, unless you would call manually promoting each slide by hand, they yes, technically you can "play" a ppt).

Now about this number 0-9 thing, Lost_at_Sea. Do you have any ideas as to why when I type in a password on (certain) websites, the number row 0-9 appears on my virtual keyboard - but other times, when I am typing something, it doesn't show this row?

I am currently experimenting to see if I can nail down what events make the number row show ---- and which of the 3 available keyboard do this (i.e. the "automatic" setting, the "querty" setting, the "quertz" setting whatever that is; and the "azerty" keyboard whatever that is. Currently I have switched back to the "automatic" keyboard whatever that means.... from the "querty" standard keyboard..... and now I see the numbers popping up from time to time again. However, I do not know yet if the reason they are popping up is because I am using the "automatic" keyboard rather than the "querty" keyboard.

All this mystery will be solved soon. I am doing my investigation, working for the board, working day and night and working my fingers to the bone just to get answers for this beloved forum. I'm pretty nice, eh? Of course, I'm Canadian.... so that might explain it a bit? I suppose Jay would not agree with this though (the post about the battery where he gets all in a tiff)....

Talk to ya soon guy... give me time and I will find a solution..... you betcha!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

1. I can save you all that time and effort  working it out. It depends if the guy who programmed the field on the screen identified it as a password type in the coding. If so the extra row shows, if not it does not. 

<inappropriate content Removed>

Hi Lost_At_Sea. Well, good news as far as it goes so far. I have tested all 4 keyboard configurations and here's what I have found so far.

SOLUTION (in part - when using web pages):

--- All 4 keyboard configurations will result in a pop-up number row 0-9 in only ONE situation discovered so far. It is when you TAP on a PASSWORD field on a webpage.

--- When you TAP on a USERID or USERNAME, this will not happen. 

--- When you are using your MESSAGES app and typing a new email, this also will not happen anyplace in the email, even in the "TO", the "CC", the "BCC" fields, where although you have the "at" symbol on the ALPHABET part of the keyboard, you do not get NUMBERS 0-9 (even though you might need them to complete an email address with numbers in it).

I'll still keep investigating further and post anything more I find. In the meantime, thanks very much for all your help and encouragement. It's a neat toy, this PB. The best thing about it so far, I find, is its ability to "anticipate" words when composing an email. That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo intuitive and done sooooooooooo well by RIM. Added to that, the ease of screen movements and the security features options they built into this thing are incredibly good. I just don't see why anyone would want to buy an iPAD, do you?

Hopefully, RIM will solve my little PPT problem. I am writing to RIM about this and asking if they will consider building a solution into a future OS update. I am also asking them to try to improve their FILE MANAGER, which needs a lot of work yet.  

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

OK so I give you the correct answer but you mark your own version of it as the solution? Cheers. 

I am sure that as time goes on, a lot of these small irritants will disappear. I think we will see a big change in the next 6 months.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Lost_at_Sea wrote:
I am sure that as time goes on, a lot of these small irritants will disappear. I think we will see a big change in the next 6 months.

agreed, BB10 looks awesome and cant wait to see it on playbook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100

Well, well, well ---- rot my socks and call me a genius (or just give me a new pair and put it down to thorough investigative techniques and scientific breakthoughs! LOL!)

Ya know what .........................?

Well, here's what:

The "SOLUTION" I gave in the email of "Tuesday, January 8" (below or above this) is NOT the solution to this problem. Therefore, I have UNMARKED it as "SOLVED" and it will remain so until I publish the actual SOLUTION...

This is because through exhaustive investigation I have discovered something that is now known only to RIM. No post in this forum since the forum began has ever identified this feature of the PlayBook.

However, before publishing this intriguing little piece of scientific discovery, I am going to write to RIM to ask them to incorporate what I found and expand it into an improved feature in the very next OS update, if possible. If they do this, it will make the PlayBook ever so much more user-friendly (even though it is thoroughly user-friendly already).

I hope to publish results soon.

Please use plain text.