Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
filipoff
My Device: Not Specified

How is playbook debut ? What is first day sale? 19.04.2011 playbook summary?

How is playbook debut ? What is first day sale? 19.04.2011 playbook summary?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How is playbook debut ? What is first day sale? 19.04.2011 playbook summary?

I think it will take quite a while before reliable numbers are reported.  Be patient, and for questions like this prefer CrackBerry.com or some other site, as this isn't really a development-related question.  (I know, everyone, developers are interested in these numbers, but that doesn't make it a development-related question.  Other forums are better.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
daviesjm
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How is playbook debut ? What is first day sale? 19.04.2011 playbook summary?

I'm not too hopeful for a good showing based on my experience at Best Buy today:

1.  The "BlackBerry PlayBook Coming Soon! Pre-order yours today." display was still up.

2.  The sales people didn't know what it was.

3.  The sales people talked to their supervisor who said they didn't have any in stock.

4.  Only when I went to the cell phone area did someone know what I was talking about.

5.  Its placement was very anticlimatic.  Nobody was nearby.  It was next to a lonely Samsung Galaxy.  The XOOM and iPad were placed in the computer section.

The good part was I was able to hog the display model, install my app and find a serious problem with it.  One salesperson was very enthusiastic about it, but I just wanted him to go away.  I had testing to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Please use plain text.
Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

daviesjm wrote:

I'm not too hopeful for a good showing based on my experience at Best Buy today:

1.  The "BlackBerry PlayBook Coming Soon! Pre-order yours today." display was still up.

3.  The sales people talked to their supervisor who said they didn't have any in stock.

4.  Only when I went to the cell phone area did someone know what I was talking about.

5.  Its placement was very anticlimatic.  Nobody was nearby.  It was next to a lonely Samsung Galaxy.  The XOOM and iPad were placed in the computer section.

The good part was I was able to hog the display model, install my app and find a serious problem with it.  One salesperson was very enthusiastic about it, but I just wanted him to go away.  I had testing to do.

That about sums up my experience too. however, there was a Playbook in the Tablets area as well as the cell phone area.... I overheard staff talking to a customer, and they were looking for "some new tablet that just came out" and the staff said "Oh the Blackberry Playbook" , and the customer said "no, no, no. I don't want that, I don't like it."....then after the staff guy walked away I started telling him all the great things about it....

One of his things why he didn't like it was that "there's no Word or Excell on it" and I proceeded to show him that there is, and they are pretty great in fact...he just said, no I don't like it.

CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I was at best buy for a bit this morning. Watched three people buy one including a guy in a suit, a regular guy, and some 70 yr old woman who had preordered. Even though there was routinely one or two people around the playbook, no employee ever came up to ask about if they needed help. Even when the old lady needed help setting it up, the employee walked away from her after it turned on, then came back and explained that I could help her. Caught me quite off guard lol.

In the end though, I was happy to play with device and see that people were actually interested in the playbook!
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
willfarnaby

daviesjm wrote:

Wow. What can one say? Whatever it might be, it'd be cruel, but just.

Please use plain text.
twin1fl
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Wi-Fi

At office depot at least the customer service was great. As soon as I walked in they asked if I was there for the playbook. They then showed me the UI and how to use it and some pictures and videos they took around the store and how good they looked. I ended up buying a 32 gig one and so far I couldn't be happier. For me things such as a native E-mail client and billions of apps weren't as important as core features such as how the operating system worked and the UI and hardware. The playbook in my opinion is far and above in these areas. The way the OS handles multi-tasking is amazing. I opened up about 5-10 apps including a game and an HD video and was switching back and forth without the playbook skipping a beat. I am a developer so I plan on making AIR applications and I am extremely exited about the platform now that I have one. Sadly though there were only 3 people there looking at the playbook at office depot. I think a lot of people are going to be missing out on an amazing product. Ill go back to reading development forums just stumbled upon this and figured I would put my two sense in.

Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe

daviesjm wrote:

Ha, I failed at this yesterday. I went to three stores, and everyone had their PlayBooks locked down. I couldn't download anything, free demos or otherwise. The best part was when the lady at Staples asked me why I didn't want a Xoom. I just glared at her, and she was like: "yeah, but it has a nice screen"! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
filipoff

So i don't know.

Part of article :

"At a Staples store in downtown New York City, on Broadway, a salesman said all 10 PlayBooks it had in stock sold out within a couple of hours of opening at 7 a.m. People are still coming in to ask for it, and the store is having them order online, he said"

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/19/playbook-sales-steady-but-no-frenzy/

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Can we move this discussion to another forum since it has nothing to do with AIR development. Thanks.
Please use plain text.