Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom
Accepted Solution

How to delete multiple images?

[ Edited ]

Can someone tell me how can I erase more than one picture. Is there a similar function to Control select, or Alt select as in Windows? I am trying to selectively delete images but not one at the time!

I have multiple images of.a bunch of airline logos. No idea where they come from. I need go get rid of these. See the screenshot attached.  

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: How to delete multiple images?

[ Edited ]

Why don't you connect to a PC and use Windows (or Mac or whatever you have) to do it quickly?

Here, this will help you. http://www.informationweek.com/byte/personal-tech/tablets/quickly-delete-multiple-photos-from-rim/23...

I had two weird videos (UK ones) show up on my PlayBook. I have no idea how they got there. They were airline advertisements. So the more puzzling question is how did you get airline logo images and I get airline videos on our PlayBooks? I am not joking either...it happened somehow after the OS 2.1 update. By the way, using the same technique as above, you can delete multiple videos. That's how I got rid of my two rogue advertisements.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

chaosdivine wrote:

Why don't you connect to a PC and use Windows (or Mac or whatever you have) to do it quickly?

Here, this will help you. http://www.informationweek.com/byte/personal-tech/tablets/quickly-delete-multiple-photos-from-rim/23...

I had two weird videos (UK ones) show up on my PlayBook. I have no idea how they got there. They were airline advertisements. So the more puzzling question is how did you get airline logo images and I get airline videos on our PlayBooks? I am not joking either...it happened somehow after the OS 2.1 update. By the way, using the same technique as above, you can delete multiple videos. That's how I got rid of my two rogue advertisements.

My weird images, not videos, showed up after update to OS 2.1 also. No idea how. I also have a list of  .txt files. They are both visible after opening the native, rather simple, File Manager app as you can see on the attached screen capture above. The images, airline logos, do not show up when looking pictures using the native Pictures app. So while the method listed on your link works using Pictures app, it does not help. Still I gave you a problem solved because the info is correct and works as long as the pictures you want get rid of are shown in Pictures. 

These weird files (Airline logos) do not show using Files & Folders either. Where are they? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

So the plot thickens...

Have you tried to connect to a PC and use Windows Explorer to try look in each available folder in your media folder?

This is just a guess, but it seems logical, if you do search and can't the images in your media folder, then it is definitely part of the OS install. Something just came to mind - when everyone installed the OS update, our update files were different sizes depending on our geographic location. Some larger (over 400 MB) and some smaller than 370 MB (I can't remember exactly how big my OS update was now but I have screenshots of the install process in a thread on here somewhere...) Anyhow, I believe, depending on our geographic location, you get an OS update with what we'll call "extras" and besides language packs, keyboard layouts and other related information, we somehow got these extraneous files. I am thinking that this is related to either the Language settings or Region settings set on the PlayBook at the time of the update.

For me, I was messing around and selected English/UK instead of Canada and I think I forgot to change it back. I have no idea if this caused me to suddenly get UK airline videos on my PB but it's the only thing I can think of that would trigger it. I also don't recall why I suddenly felt the need to change my settings either...but I did do it.

By the way, I never got any image files or text files. Just the two videos. So I have no idea what's going on. What do you think? Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

I was thinking about trying to find these files with my PC. Did not get there yet! However, I bought a brand new 32GB PlayBook today. For $140 I could not resist. I gave the 16 GB unit to my wife. I set it up as an e-reader and for her email.

In any case, after starting the new unit up it wanted to update the OS to 2.1.xxxx - it went  OK, no unwanted images or video!  I recall the file size was 370 MB or so.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

Re: How to delete multiple images? -update

I was wrong! The airline logos are still on my old PB. The darn images are only shown when you look at the images with the PlayBook's File Manager.  I will try to reinstall the OS.  Can't see any other way out of this. While it does not interfere with the operation of the unit,  this stupid thing bothers me. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

Re: How to delete multiple images? -update

Well that should solve the problem for good. I wish you luck!

Please use plain text.
mfrehman
My Device: Bb PlayBook
My Carrier: Etisalat

UNABLE to delete as they don't appear under pictures
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

mfrehman wrote:
UNABLE to delete as they don't appear under pictures

For this and your parallel thread, use the solution given by the blue checkmark in this thread, then use youre PC/Mac Explorer/Finder to search other folders, including Downloads, and also the folders under Misc relating to any Android sideloads you may have installed. Then delete them.

The awful "FileManager" bundled with the OS is not fit for purpose. It is intended for non-techs and will list all images wherever they are, but will not indicate where they are or what they are called. A proper file manager should be installed from Blackberry World if you want to do it Playbook side.