Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
str8chat
My Device: Playbook 64GB
Accepted Solution

How to force the Playbook to power down?

On two occasions, my playbook has not closed down properly. It displays a message for a few seconds, indicating it is turning off, and then the screen goes blank. In a fairly dark room, I can see that the screen back light is still on. Normally the back light goes off after about 10 to 15 seconds.

On two occasions, the back light has remained on, and the playbook does not respond to gestures on the touch screen or to tapping the power or volume buttons.

Other than letting it run the battery completely flat, is there a way to force the playbook to close down or to regain control of the device?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to force the Playbook to power down?

Whatever you do, do NOT let the PlayBook battery run completely flat, that presents a whole different set of problems of reviving the battery... hundreds of posts here in this forum on that issue.

I never even turn mine off (other than when flying). I close any apps and place it in standby mode.

For your issue, I don't know what to say or recommend. I haven't noticed it. How are you commencing the power down?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
str8chat

I tap on the battery icon at the top right of the screen, which pops up a small window with three options:

Restart

Standby

Power Off

I tap the last option if I don't plan to use it for a couple of days.

I suspect that the device automatically shuts down just before the battery is completely flat, and I recharge it as soon as I get control again. When I connect the charger, after such a shut down, it will not power up for about 15 minutes, after which it works normally. On both occasions I have given it a full charge.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

OK.

If you feel the device might have a software fault in shutting down, you can always backup, wipe and restore the OS.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
str8chat

I found the following in the Blackberry Knowledge Base. It appears to answer my question, and I will try it next time the Playbook becomes unresponsive.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB26712&sliceId=2&cm...