Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
thuja93
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

How to have App World apps from multiple regions/countries on one Playbook

Hello all,

Has anyone succeeded in having apps from multiple countries on a single Playbook?

I would like to combine the Canadian and Dutch App Worlds on a single device because I would like Dutch games for my children but local Canadian apps (when the Android apps get ported) for the English side, but, when I tryto sign in to my Dutch Blackberry ID on my Playbook the Playbook tells me it wants to do a security wipe and forget about the Canadian ID.

I presume a security wipe is a bad thing if I want to keep the apps that I've installed and videos that I've taken so I said "no".

On my iPhone and iPods I am able to switch between stores without a second thought so I'm hoping that a similar workaround exists for the Playbook (in iOS I switch between Canadian and Dutch app stores whenever I need an app in the respective language--I wish these @#$!#%!5% developers and app stores would simply make a single global market for apps and not require you to jump through hoops to get to apps).

The problem with the Canadian Blackberry App World is that it only has Canadian apps (for that matter, the store suffers from a debilitating lack of apps but that's unrelated to the language issue--hopefully RIM will either improve the App World so it becomes much easier to find apps or else BB10 will include a full blown Android emulator and an Android app store (keeping fingers crossed... the Playbook has grown on me and I would like it to succeed as an alternative to iOS/Android)).

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: How to have App World apps from multiple regions/countries on one Playbook

[ Edited ]

Hey Thuja93,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

To change the BlackBerry ID on the BlackBerry PlayBook a security wipe is required, also application language and region availability is determined by the application vendor. One option to see if an application is available in a different country in to visit http://appworld.blackberry.com and apply a filter in your search. 

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thuja93

HB, thanks for your response but what I'd like to do is have the apps from multiple regions on the same Playbook at the same time. I gather from your post that that's not possible.

I'm wondering if it's possible to "side load" apps from one region onto the Playbook from another region, but, given that RIM seems to have a deathwish anyway, it sounds like side-loading of apps will be prohibited to end users in the next major update of the OS.

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to make sure not to buy any apps from the Playbook app store since the next tablet will likley be an iPad (well, OK, I know that the next tablet will be an iPad since it's for my wife and kids but the one after that will probably be for me again and, unless RIM does something amazing with BB10 I imagine it'll be an Android for me... I need an app store that will stick around for a few years and isn't many times more expensive that the iTunes apps... which is a shame because I really like my Playbook).

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

thuja93 wrote:

I'm wondering if it's possible to "side load" apps from one region onto the Playbook from another region, but, given that RIM seems to have a deathwish anyway, it sounds like side-loading of apps will be prohibited to end users in the next major update of the OS.

The app developers are RIM's partners in the App World.

So if the app developers want to restrict an app to a region, there is no reason why RIM should help anyone to defeat the protections.

thuja93 wrote:

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to make sure not to buy any apps from the Playbook app store since the next tablet will likley be an iPad (well, OK, I know that the next tablet will be an iPad since it's for my wife and kids but the one after that will probably be for me again and, unless RIM does something amazing with BB10 I imagine it'll be an Android for me... I need an app store that will stick around for a few years and isn't many times more expensive that the iTunes apps... which is a shame because I really like my Playbook).

Are you sincere? If you like your PlayBook, but leave it for another tablet that will have exactly the same region restrictions, I don't know, it does not seem right.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thuja93

# 1 Circumventing region restrictions

It's not copy protection that I'm trying to circumvent--I gladly pay for an app from the relevant region, and I do on my iOS devices. The problem is that the app stores (iTunes, App World) set things up so that people can't access apps from other regions when there's no reason not too. Oftentimes the app developers aren't aware that there's a market for their apps outside of their home region or the app store makes it challenging for an app developer to list their app globally.

There's one in particular that I use (uitzendinggemist) on my iPhone/iPods and they incorporate the region restrictions in their broadcasts (even though there is a HUGE demand for it among the Dutch expat community). They allow their app to be used outside of the NL even though it's not available outside of the Dutch app store.

#2 Other app stores having similar restrictions

I can't speak for Android stores but with iTunes that's not the case.

The iOS devices allow you to use multiple regions on a single device. I've got Dutch, Canadian and US apps installed on both my iPhone and iPod. All I do is switch between iTunes accounts and I can install an app from a different region--no need to wipe the device. Region restrictions, if they are implemented (e.g. streaming broadcasts that are only available within the Netherlands) are still respected.

#3 How can I really like the Playbook but leave it for another tablet

I love my Playbook. It does EXACTLY what I want and it does it VERY well.

I'm using it to watch videos for an online course I'm taking and very light web browsing (the web browser is excellent by mobile browser standards but it's VERY insensitive to taps on the screen, often requiring multiple tries to activate a link).

The device is very nicely constructed and has great speakers. That's the reason I bought it (32 GB for $120). I bought it knowing that it was severly limited in its functionality so I'm not disappointed. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised because it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

However, it's also a dead-in-the-water device, unless RIM does a major turn-around with BB10. I think the viability of the Playbook in the market place will be determined by June.

If RIM does the right thing with the app store and with the consumer "niceties" like video chat it will survive to compete for 4th place in the tablet platform war. It's a good device but iOS and Android are clobbering it.

iOS clobbers because Apple makes nice tablets, has a smooth interface with a huge selection of apps and completely dominates the tablet market. Android is leaving Playbook in the dust because it's got momentum and hardware that's becoming price competitive (Samsung recently had a sale on 7" tablets for $150).

The interface is limited (I've touched the iPad for maybe 30 minutes total in my life but the "pinch" to close apps is so intuitive I tried using it on the Playbook to no avail) but I suspect that's partially because Google, Samsung and Apple have locked down most of the important patents so I don't fault RIM for that.

Where I fault RIM is that they've not been willing to do what it takes to make the Playbook viable. Dropping the price to below CHEAP Android tablets has helped but I fear that it will leave the impression that it's a sub-par tablet with the public despite being a $200+ device.

They've also not been willing to fill the major consumer software voids that exists on the Playbook--the biggie is that there's no video chat [that's compatible with other devices or platforms]. I've never had the pleasure of trying out the BB video chat because I know only ONE person (vs. dozens who own iPads and two who own Androids) who owns a Playbook and I have no reason to call them. I understand that Skype won't come to Playbook now since Microsoft owns them (and won't be willing to give a competitor leg up) and Apple will never make Facetime available outside of an Apple device.

Apple has the installed user base to pull the proprietary trick with Facetime. For RIM to do the same with the Blackberry chat by limiting it to BB devices is foolish because their Playbook installed user base is tiny their mobile phone market is just that, mobile phones and not wifi-enabled smart phones.

The final nail in the coffin for me committing money to the Playbook app store is the App World. Hardly any apps are available (I've browsed a few times and it seems like I've seen nearly all the apps that are available) and those that are are many times more expensive than the competition on iTunes or the Android stores.

All in all, the Playbook is a great but fatally flawed device. RIM can turn things around but I suspect that they don't have the courage to take the necessary steps :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thuja93

PS there are a few other things which I do fault RIM for or which limit its appeal...

#1 The interface isn't intuitive enough to use "off the street"

The only reason I got the Playbook is because a colleague mentioned that it was cheap and that it had great speakers and a decent battery life. I'm not ready to drop $400 on an iPad (though, that will be the next device we buy since the Playbook has convinced me that the tablet form is a useful format).

I'd tried the Playbook many times in the store and every time thought it was either crashed or broken since I could never get it to do ANYTHING. I had to have someone SHOW me how to switch apps (this is not something I'm used to since _I_ am the one who figures these things out for other people). RIM's in-store demo mode doesn't do a good job of showing people how to use it.

The iPad is so intuitive I see people who've NEVER used a tablet or smartphone pick them up and start right away. Android's buttons, though annoying, will eventually work if you tap them often enough. The Playbook, on the other hand, doesn't work that way. The swipe up or sideways are not intuitive. You can't "discover" them without A LOT of trial and error and most consumers don't have that option in the store.

#2 Charging is a nightmare

I've not run into this problem (touch wood) but I've seen enough "dead" Playbooks in stores. The batteries have run down because the device is unplugged and then gone below the magical voltage needed to recharge them.

This is not a good way to "sell" your device to the public. If a consumer walks past a Playbook and sees it dead while the iPad is humming away they can only EXPERIENCE the iPad. $400 vs. $150 is a huge difference, but NOT if it's $400 for a device that works and $150 for a device that's dead. You could price it at $5 and the iPad would still win because it actually has a charged or recharging battery.

Basically RIM hasn't done a good job with the Playbook. They can fix most of the problems through software or policy changes (e.g. the super expensive app store). Now, time will tell if they're willing to go the distance.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thuja93

Last thought...

Most people now understand they're buying the app store as much as the tablet. If you buy a tablet you're buying into a future with that app store since purchases are transferrable.

Both Android and iOS will be around for years to come. Android has the advantage that it's got many different manufacturers building devices. Apple has the advantage that it's been around for 30-something odd years and thus has a proven track record.

Playbook, on the other hand, is unproven technology. Playbook has only been around two years. RIM has no experience with consumer SOFTWARE and the app store doesn't fill people with confidence.

This is a weakness of RIM's foray into the world of touch devices. Certainly not a fatal one but one that they need to remediate rather than exacerbate (through, for e.g., super expensive apps).

Please use plain text.