Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: How to video chat between Playbook and a laptop ?

Just another satisfied ipad customer
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g, 2-z10's
My Carrier: rogers

What does that reply mean?   

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bsalloum
My Device: PlayBook 64, formerly Tour 9630 now HTC WP8
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks for this tip, however the link didn't work for me.

Try this one if you had the same problem:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/78527/?lang=en

Failing that, just search for ReelPortal on AppWorld :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KingsleyMok
My Device: Blackberry 9800 & Playbook

With regards to video chat in Blackberry Playbook...

There's no video chat that is 3rd party will work on Blackberry Playbook such as: Hotmail Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, GTalk, and Skype and oovoo.  Just text chatting.  That's it.

When I first got the Playbook in December 2011, I was soooo let down.  Bought Blackberry Playbook for purpose of surfing the web and video chatting on the IM to keep in touch with friends, family and video conference with business people ...but no...Just a BIG disappointment in Playbook.  No wonder RIM is getting hard hit on the stock price.

RIM's advertisement says "need tools and not toys..."  Well, I beg to differ, iOS and Android are tools too.  What good is Playbook if there are not that many useful apps for tools to meet my business chores?  SIP calling and Video chatting cross platform is a business task and chore too.

6 months now and still no sign of video chats for Live Messenger, Yahoo, Skype and ooVoo to work natively on Playbook OS.  The android converted to Playbook ones obviously do not work when it comes to video chat.

I've played with iPad and Android tablet and I'm falling for Asus Tranformer TF300 because it meets my chores, tasks and needs.  

It's too bad.  I like the Playbook for the size and the quality..but the software side was lacking too much.  The Playbook will just sit at home as picture frame, weather info, and kids to surf the Internet and watch Youtube.  That's it.  I plan to resell it out on discount.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bsalloum
My Device: PlayBook 64, formerly Tour 9630 now HTC WP8
My Carrier: Bell

There's no video chat that is 3rd party will work on Blackberry Playbook such as: Hotmail Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, GTalk, and Skype and oovoo.  Just text chatting.  That's it.

A couple of us in this thread have suggested ReelPortal. Have you given it a try? It is video chat and it does work, so I would say your comment is no longer true.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Too lazy to download and try. If it is not a name brand they won't use it. Even though it works. These people need an iPad.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KingsleyMok

Actually, I have tried ReelPortal.  I have tested it extensively and found the results to be a mix.  Works and don't work sometimes.  Is it reliable?  Not really.

Based on my experience, in reality and in practicalness, just how many people of asian descent whom they have relied on Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail for so sooo long and so much, are they willing to go with ReelPortal?

Take a look at Skype, Yahoo and Gtalk on Android Tablet.  Users are able to video chat between Android Tablet and PC or Mac using Skype, Yahoo, and Gtalk.

From an IT point of view, it is not much of a big deal to create the account and so on.  But to the end users, it is.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KingsleyMok

Aadras,

I was not lazy.  I actually did try ReelPortal but failed to mentioned that in the previous post.  My bad there.

People need iPad is what's happening because it serves not just an eye candy to them, but a purpose for them.  Same with Android.

I have tested with Playbook extensively as a user and with Mobile Fusion for enterprise.  The Playbook Enterprise activation process is tedious and not practical.  RIM needs to change that.  The current setup and process just deters more corproate users to stay away from Playbook and go with iPad or Android instead and use ActiveSync to activate for Exchange emails.

Playbook is a nice hardware, but the OS, Software and the lack of good apps is what scaring the users away.  

I can guarantee you, that if you approach to any Systems Admin or IT Manager who have hands on tested all the tablet devices, they'lll give you the same answer what I've mentioned here.  

All my colleagues in the IT field in different industries all have same experience, results and conclusion...it is just not ready nor recommend.  Sucks for us to say it as we love our Blackberry Phones and love managing the BES...but the Playbook... sorry...the body is fine but the mind is not there....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikemcsharry
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi folks

I think the link changed - I found it here

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/78527/?lang=en

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jefferyh
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g, 2-z10's
My Carrier: rogers

I have tried Realportal too and was unimpressed.  I have not tried it lately but I found it to be no where near the quality of Video Chat.  Video chat still does not work between 2 playbooks I own and is really a pain since it is between my wife and I.  Got it working once then nothing.  I'm a huge fan of rim and playbook but my video chat does not work where I need it most.. I tried using the pin numbers and email but still doesn't work.  She is away and I'd like to use it.  I'll give it another go tonight.  any suggestions?

Please use plain text.