Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook , Curve 8330
My Carrier: Worldline and Bell Pay as You Go

I NEED Help to Replace broken HDMI port

[ Edited ]

Hi to all .

Although my playbook is usually connected to my entertainment system I had an occasion to use it and disconnected it . When I hooked it up again it no longer produces HDMI video . The insulating block between the two rails of the 19 pin Micro HDMI port is no longer present and this prevents the pressure required for contact from being applied . I contacted Playbook support and was advised it could be repaired for a fee of $149 .With the cost of the same model NEW at Walmart being $179  (http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blackberry-64gb-playbook-with-wi-fi/129359#) I can not see how this can be . It is kind of like buying a car for $20.000.00 and being charged $17.500.00 for replacing a tail light bulb  . Could someone direct me to some one who can replace the Micro HDMI connector at a realistic price . I think Rim needs to consider that Customers are a Nonrenewable Resource ,  as charges like these would not be acceptable to anyone  .

Peter

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Replace broken HDMI port

I have seen independant repairers quote £50 ($70) for one port but they may find something else to fix and the teardown required to replace a port is failry traumatic to Playbook and you may find new problems. It's almost a disposable device like a pocket camera or a shaver - once out of waranty repairs are uneconomic. I would put up  wit the fault or replace the tablet.  I could not recommend Playbooks above any other.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input.  I guess that repair should have been researched before I purchased this . As I only live about 15 minutes from Rim (Research In Motion) the creators of Playbook I did not feel I had any need to have a  concern about having it repaired . Buying and supporting a local business is not always the best choice .  I have had the Playbook for about 15 months and used it for about 5 or 6 hours . As I paid $300 for it works out to $50 or $60 an hour for the time that I have used it . I will not throw away the Playbook and if I can not have it correctly repaired I will Frankenstein  a full sized HDMI connector into the config via a pig tail exiting  the placement. of the original connector  . 

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: wifi only

Asus/Google are no better, my sons Nexus7 has done what many other Nexus7's have done, the glass screen has cracked for no reason, the glass is not covered under guarantee (3 months old) and is classed as user misuse.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB ZED 10
My Carrier: Fido

Hi, I'm not sure where you live, but, try contacting a mobile phone repair site. I bet they could do a repair on the playbook for substantially less if they have access to the parts. Worth a try anyway.  I had to replace an LCD on a Bold 9900 and the carriers quoted $199 and a repair shop quoted $50 for just the LCD replacement. So, i went with the repair shop. :Rolleyes:

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. :smileyhappy:
New Contributor

I have tried that option but no one has the Micro HDMI jack as phones do not usually have a video out . I also believe you require some sophisticated solder station as I think it to be a surface mount port which are a little more complicated than a through hole type connector . 

Thanks for your input .

Peter

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Found these guys through Ebay: http://www.portatronics.com/index.php?cat=c294_Blackberry-PlayBook.html&XTCsid=iajetat5jbksot21f8o0k...

Call them and ask first how much it would cost to do an HDMI port repair/swap.

This is their Ebay listing for repair service: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blackberry-Playbook-Repair-Service-/330900732614?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Acce...

Note their shipping prices are steep because that covers your shipping cost down to them for a quote. If you don't want to get it repaired after the fact, they ship it back to you since you already pretty much overpaid in the beginning.

Here's their phone number: 646 797 2838

Or you could search Kijiji for a used one (search for buy and sell and then PlayBook). Try all ports before you buy it though. The PlayBook isn't being sold any longer as you know, even the listing you provided for Walmart didn't have any stock (in the cities I chose to search anyhow). At one time during the firesale 32 GB PB's were going for as little as $99. I got mine for $149.99 with a leather convertable case and stylus and I thought that was a good deal. Anyhow, my point is, they're not easy to come by so finding a cheap solution for a 64 GB HDMI port repair is not going to be easy.

New Contributor

Thank you for the links . I got in contact with portatronics.com and got a quote of $99.95 plus shipping .They are in New York city  . 

Peter 

Buying and supporting a local business is not always the best choice

Customers are a Nonrenewable Resource ,