Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
ebsanford
My Device: Torch 9810 / Playbook

I'm all thumbs... 2 Suggestions!!

This is not so much a complaint but a suggestion:

(1) I tend to use my Pb in landscape most of the time.  As a result, my two thumbs get a considerable workout during a day's use.  But this has also led me to regard the omni-present dock as basically useless and a waste of valuable screen space.  Rather than using the dock, I prioritize my app icon arrangement on each panel so that the left-most and right-most vertical column of icons (the columns closest to my thumbs) are the apps I use the most.  The second column in on each side are my secondary apps, while the apps towards the vertical center of the screen are the least used.

SUGGESTION: Provide a checkbox option in the General setup panel to show/hide the dock area.

(2) I have also found that the landscape keyboard is a bit too wide for comfortable thumb typing.  For us thumbers, having to "reaaach" to the center of the screen is a real pain.  It also reduces typing speed and is more prone to striking the wrong key--especially [space].

SUGGESTION: Provide an option for a "Split Keyboard" in landscape mode?

Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Re: I'm all thumbs... 2 Suggestions!!

The dock is going to go in BlackBerry 10 anyway. I doubt it will stay on the PlayBook.

As for the split keyboard idea, it makes a lot of sense!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
paolorodriguez
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900

I agree the space key is too short. Should have been at least about 100% longer.

Like all my posts, and mark them as the solution if it solved your problem.

My Website: Paolo Rodriguez

Trusted Contributor
MXZ
My Device: PlayBook

i suggest you to use a bluetooth physical keyboard , no pain anymore :smileyhappy:

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you!
If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Good ideas. I hate when I hit the period instead of the space bar. Bluetooth keyboard is also a good solution - but not always practical.  Unless you have a Blackberry keyboard it works fine only when the unit is in the cradle. 

Why was only BlackBerry smart enough to make a Bluetooth keyboard with a built in touchpad mouse???? I hate to carry two devices.