Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
sailnaked
My Device: blackberry playbook 64gb

I want to use my own search engine.

With the playbook browser I can only choose Google, Bing, AOL or Yahoo as default search engines.  I hate all of them I'd like to use Startpage, DuckDuckGo, or Yippy as my default search engine.  How can I set this up.  If I can't, why the heck not??  Can somebody help me.

Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Re: I want to use my own search engine.

I agree with you. I use Google for my search.

So what's the problem? Well, I live in the UK so I want google.co.uk to be my default search, NOT google.com which dishes out different results.

It's the same on the phones and it's annoying.

Why not? I'm guessing it has something to do with the £££.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
notam
My Device: playbook

Why not go to the web page of your search engine of choice (e.g., dogpile.com) and save it as a favourite either in bookmarks or main screen?

Developer
cas118

Because there's a perfectly good search bar at the top of the browser that I can use?

I have taken to setting google.co.uk as the homepage, but that's besides the point and doesn't address the OP's question.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
greenback
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

You need to go into some sort of agreement with RIM, which involves cash to get your search engine pre-installed on all Playbook devices.

Thats just how it works. Search engines like Bing, and Google pay upbig $$$.

:Cool2:

New Contributor
sailnaked
My Device: blackberry playbook 64gb

No, no, no,  no.   You're telling me that I  have to pay big $$$ to RIM to insert an obvious convenience feature into their software.  That's dumb.  All I'm asking for is the obvious.  This functionality should be built in to the browser.  I don't care if they have defaults out  of the box.  They should allow the user to select his preference after purchase.  Especially privacy averse search engines like google.  RIM is supposed to be all security conscious and everything, well let me use a search engine that does not spy.

Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g

I agree user friendly = freedom of choice or at least customizable options.

BTW I have startpage.com as my home page.

My Device: Blackberry 9900

Sorry to bump an old post but I was searching for how to change the default search engine to google.co.uk and stumbled across this post.

For the person that asked how to change to google uk, I have worked out the correct search string to use google's uk search engine which may help you

http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?q=%s
Developer
cas118

StuR,

Thanks for that. I already know the strings as I have imported them into various browsers in the past - however it might be useful to others. :smileywink:

As the OP pointed out, it's disappointing that we can't put a custom search into the main bar - which is essentially region-locked to the US and limited to just a couple of search providers.

A good thought that I came up with since this post was to simply drop an HTML file with my favourite searches on the PlayBook and load that as the default page. It's not as smooth as the bar, but it's not far off.

At least the BlackBerry handsets have a choice when you search. I'm genuinely worried that the PlayBook browser will be more or less the same on BlackBerry 10 - limitations and all.

Regular Contributor
Tigershark24
My Device: Z10

The link does not work. Can someone please post a way of making Google.co.uk my default search provider for my BlackBerry z10 phone.

Thanks.