Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

IMAP emails revert to unread on one account.

I've seen this mentioned as a problem for some on Playbooks and some android devices but wonder if there is a solution (or at least an explanation).

I've added an email account through the advanced setup. When I first tried to import the account without the advanced setup, it repeatedly failed. Not sure if it is because it couldn't import the contacts or calendar, or if it's because SSL encryption is not enabled on the server but - even with the correct port & encryption settings - it would only import as POP or IMAP mail. 

I first added it as a POP acct but switched it to IMAP to be consistent with how it imported on my iPhone. I also access the same account through webmail. 

I didn't notice it doing this when it was POP (but didn't use it that way for long), but now it keeps resetting emails from that account as unread, even though they show as read on the iPhone & webmail.

Any clues??

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: IMAP emails revert to unread on one account.

do I understand correctly ?

1) you mark as read a message on the webmail
2) when opening the Messages app on the PlayBook, that email is marked as unread
3) when refreshing the webmail, that email is marked as unread

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jecsc620
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

I have the same issue and you have repeated it back correctly.

I read the emails on the playbook and the email reflects as being read. When i turn the playbook off and turn it back on or I change networks or after some period of time all of the read emails return to the unread state.

The playbook though does not give me a new message indicator when it does that unless there is actually a new message.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

That will happen if you swap between web and playbook before they have fully synchronised and that can take seconds or many minutes, or longer.

I use playbook as the "master controller" but then I am not in a working environment and rarely need web unless I get family photos to download etc.

I've just done the latest update and notice that I now have a sync-folder option that wasn't there before _and_ folders on the server that were missing from that account are now there. I'll retest the read/unread problem. The behaviour that I experienced wasn't (I don't think) due to me swapping between platforms but I will double-check.

FYI, the problem acct is Smartermail Enterprise 10.3. I'm accessing it on an iPhone, the Playbook, and the webmail version. The behaviour on the iPhone has been fine, it was only on the PlayBook that it was acting up. I'll need to test it also on an Android phone/tablet too since I'm the user admin for the mail (but don't have any access or much info on the server side of things). I did ask the server admin to look into it too, so not sure if improvements are from the playbook update or changes on the mail server end.

Will get back to you on the read/unread behaviour...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Aaaaaaaargh!!

Nope. Update didn't fix it. The messages still revert to unread on the PB.

Note - these same messages have been displaying as read for the last five days on the webmail and on the iPhone.

Can't delete then from the PB either. They just reappear again after the sync period - marked, of course, as unread. Which confuses the webmail version where crossed out messages litter then inbox.

Please use plain text.