Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
cas118
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Ideas for PlayBook Multitasking for RIM

I was thinking about some of the comments that people have made here and elsewhere about wanting to truly multitask with the PlayBook. That is in how we work, nit just the hardware.

Maybe we can throw some ideas in here and hope that RIM take some of it on board.

- Allow an app to overlay another, á la picture-in-picture. Great for copying stuff.
- Portrait mode could split screen two apps. One on top and one below.
- Web browser could (and should) appear as separate tasks rather than just a single app. Cool if this could be turned on and off.
- Reorder the running apps in the minimized view to that we can clump them together. Oh, better yet, we could lasso them together so that we are working on task-focused programs together, and a swipe up would show is a screen full of those running programs so we could easily jump between them. I believe that the bottom right corner isn't being used at the moment. :smileyhappy:

Does anybody have other ideas about how we can really multitask with the PlayBook?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Ideas for PlayBook Multitasking for RIM

These are nifty ideas, but as a consumer I'd really just want apps running in the background to run in the background. I don't really need a side-by-side screen view, because the playbook has a 7" screen and screen real estate is limited. I could see a use for a PIP video chat and an app, but that's pretty much it.

The reason to hold back on multitasking doing too much is battery life. It's gonna cost the battery something to do all of that.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118

Well, I don't think that any of the ideas mentioned would cost that much CPU seeing as they are essentially modifications of what the home screen carousel does already.

I'm simply saying that some (not all) like to work in multiple apps at the same time. The PB has the power, so why not use it? Oh, and there is a 10" version coming, FYI.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118

Interestly, Microsoft seem to be pushing a very tablet focussed version of Windows next.

Some here might be interested in their approach:

Windows 8 YouTube clip

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch

I thought windows 8 looked a lot like Blackberry's playbook.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7

chrispycrunch wrote:
I thought windows 8 looked a lot like Blackberry's playbook.

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw it on PC World RSS feed, they even use the bezel like feature of the their demo screen to do alot of what we are already doing with the playbook

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

funny how they copy stuff all the time, I though they might have taken a few ideas.

weird how another company copied BlackBerry Protect and maybe BBM too.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.