Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

If you cannot connect to wifi try this

If you cannot connect to wifi, go somewhere where there is an open wifi network. McDonalds, coffee shops etc. Tap the wave symbol in the top right corner. Make sure the switch is in the 'On' position, tap the wave symbol again which opens a box showing all the available wifi signals the PB can pickup. Look for one that says 'Open' to the right side of the selected signal. Select this open signal. If the signal is strong enough, try connecting to the Internet. 

If you can connect to an open signal, there is nothing wrong with your PB. The problem lies with your home modem.  If the problem is with your home modem, there have been plenty of information posted to correctly connect to the Internet.  Look them up on this forum or on crackberry.com. Let me know if you are successful or not.

Contributor
joe88eng
My Device: Playbook

Re: If you cannot connect to wifi try this

What you described is true with OS1 .

I upgraded to OS2 and cannot use any free WiFi ( McDonalds, Starbucks, Tullys...etc...etc). Coffee shops need you to click on 'Agree' to terms and conditions of use and they sent out a page (.jad file I guess) that lets you click on 'Agree'. That page cannot be displayed ( hence cannot use their wifi) . I used Starbucks or McDonalds every day until yesterday when upgraded to OS2 , I got " Invalid JAD content null" message when trying to use Starbucks, then tried McDonalds, then Tullys coffee in Washington state, ... same. I reproted that to Tech Support, looks like OS2 makes the browser not able to read .jad files

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

I can access an Open wifi network but not my own? Try this!
Reset your modem or router. Look at your router for a very small hole with a recessed button. Using a ball point pen push lightly on the button. This should reset your modem to factory specs. Your router may have a small plastic tab that is part of the case. Push in on this tab, the reset button is under the tab. If you cannot find these after very close examination of your router, then unplug the router for a few minutes then plug it in again. With a bit of luck you may be able to get your PB to connect.
I will continue writing the next step for those who are still having problems. It will be posted when it is completed. Keep checking for the next update. Good Luck.
Trusted Contributor
katonym
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

When it is your work wifi that you cannot connect to anymore after the OS2, resetting it is NOT an option, especially when nobody else in the office has a problem!!
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Resetting an office modem is not a big problem. Whenever your office has a power failure, the router resets itself when the power is restored.

Do others in your office connect with a PB?

If you know your network name, and your network password, try entering it into the PB And hope that the door opens and let's you in. To do this step, tap on the wave symbol on the top right of the PB screen, next to the battery symbol.Make sure the wifi switch is ON, tap the wave symbol again and this should open a box showing all the wifi signals that the PB is picking up. Scroll down the list to see if your Network Name is listed. If it is, tap on the name and select CONNECT. Another box will open asking for your password, the 26 number and lettering discussed above. Carefully enter the number without spaces, enter letters upper and lower case exactly as listed on your router. Tap Connect and Save. My network uses WPA Personal.  It requires a SSID (Network Name) which must be the same as you set up on your laptop. It also asked for the 26 alphanumeric code.