Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Rosster6028
My Device: Bold 9930 & Playbook 64

Improved Method Needed for Attaching Pictures to any Email (Native or Blackberry)

[ Edited ]

Wasn't sure how else to address this:  Thought i would try a new post.

When you want to attach a picture to an email, you end up with a screen with a choice to attached Pictures, Video, Music or Documents.

When you want to attache a picture, and choose Pictures, you have to go through every one that you have on your Playbook.

Could the software be written so that I could choose which folder I want to attach the pictures from? 

In my case, I simply want to attach a picture from the camera folder.  But there are no folders shown.  I have to go to the bottom of the large cache of pictures to get to the last pictures - which are the Camera pictures.

If i'm missing something, let me know!

Regards,

Ross
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: Improved Method Needed for Attaching Pictures to any Email (Native or Blackberry)

Files & Foldes has a handy send-to-email feature. Works with most (but unfortunately not all) e-mail servers. Take the free trial version for a spin to see if it works for you:

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Improved Method Needed for Attaching Pictures to any Email (Native or Blackberry)

New features are being added with new OS releases. I hope in the coming days you'll be able to see wish come true. However, you can use 3rd party apps for now.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

Rosster6028 wrote:

Wasn't sure how else to address this:  Thought i would try a new post.

When you want to attach a picture to an email, you end up with a screen with a choice to attached Pictures, Video, Music or Documents.

When you want to attache a picture, and choose Pictures, you have to go through every one that you have on your Playbook.

Could the software be written so that I could choose which folder I want to attach the pictures from? 

In my case, I simply want to attach a picture from the camera folder.  But there are no folders shown.  I have to go to the bottom of the large cache of pictures to get to the last pictures - which are the Camera pictures.

If i'm missing something, let me know!

Camera pictures easy. There is a search icon on that selection screen, tap it then type img . It will pause on the i possibly but then a much smaller list of photos from camera will appear. I have 9000 photos, without that search it would be impossible. Hint, try searching for the actual photo name if it's not a camera picture.  It's what search functions were designed for. 

________
Contributor
Rosster6028

Innovatology,

I've installed the trial version of "Files & Folders," and I think this is a pretty impressive program.  It increases functionality substantially.  Much further study is required on this, and I think this program will be a 'buy' for me.

However, it has the attach to email function, for one pre-defined email account, and it's going to be only the native email, not anything through BlackBerry bridge, unfortunately.  It's really quite limited on that account.

Also, you have to go through a myriad of files to find 'Camera."

I'm still looking for a solution to attaching a picture from Camera - easily - to any email I need to send - either via native email to the Blackberry or through Blackberry bridge.

Regards,

Ross
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

Rosster6028 wrote:

I'm still looking for a solution to attaching a picture from Camera - easily - to any email I need to send - either via native email to the Blackberry or through Blackberry bridge.

Did you miss my post?

________
Contributor
Rosster6028

Troy Tempest,

Good suggestion, and I have used this before.  But the underlying assumption is that I change the name of each picture from the default "IMG___".  Now in some cases I do this, but in most cases, I do the following:

I move the pictures to a file, entitled "Italy," or "Machinery," or "Personal," etc. 

This works well on the BlackBerry Bold 9930, because when you go to attach a picture to an email you have a multitude of choices of where to get the picture from - either Camera, Camera Pictures or any of the folders you have them stored in.  The Bold's system is much better than the Playbook!

So if the Playbook could have a simiar software interface as the BlackBerry Bold 9930, for example, it would be much easier.

Not that I'm lazy, but keeping track of a file name is not that easy either on the Playbook!

When you view the file in "Camera," under albums you cannot see the name of the file anyways!

I'm just looking for some app, or to suggest to RIM, that software is needed that makes the ability to attach pictures much easier.

Regards,

Ross
Super Contributor
TroyTempest

If you use it big time for working photos then yes you have an insurmountable problem. 

The so-called File Manager native app which allows both email attachment and file uploads to browser (e.g. restoring a backed up config file to a router) is seriously flawed.  As well as the problem you highlight, if the file does not have a recognised document or media suffix it is totally invisible.  Sometimes you can rename a file .doc and attach it but that does not help with restoring a router config which can have any exotic suffix imaginable. 

Added to that, downloads from the web become invisible and gradually collect in the downloads folder if you don't use a third party (proper) file manager like F&F or AIR Browser .

Yep it's been a mess since OS 1.0 and in every upgrade we have been hoping for a fix.  

As they say now, Maybe in BB10....

________
Contributor
Rosster6028

I have faith that RIM will catch this; but I don't see a way to let them know other than this way. 

That being said, this Tablet is vastly superior to the one I received little more than a year ago.

It was a superior tablet then and has become a very different (still superior) tablet due to promised software updates...

Thanks all for your replies thus far.

Regards,

Ross