Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
TheSpoon
My Device: Bold 9780, Playbook 16gb
Accepted Solution

Internet via bluetooth

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to have my playbook connect to my laptop via bluetooth and use my laptops internet that way. (I already know the pb doesnt support ad-hoc) as my wireless doesnt reach all areas of my house.

Cheers

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Internet via bluetooth

Sorry, that is not supported. The Playbook will only connect to a BlackBerry for Internet service.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Your laptop cannot act as a Bluetooth modem server. Most mobile Smart Phones can work as a Bluetooth tethered modem. If you have a Smart Phone that can act as a WiFi hotspot this will also work.

The Playbook can also be tethered using the bridge feature. The bridge feature works only with Blackberry phones that support the bridge software. The bridge mode for internet access is not as good and as fast as using it tethered to the phone.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Contributor
newideas2005
My Device: Torch 9800 and Playbook 64gig

You also cannot use Appworld via Blackberry Bridge or apply system updates. 

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Yes! The PB can only be updated with WiFi. This is an aspect I don't like about it.

It should have been designed to allow updates with tethering. That is one thing that disapoints me.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Why?? I would NEVER trust a mobile connection to do an update that is so large and with the possibility of bricking the device....no way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

A properly designed mobile device that can do updates over the mobile network, such as the Blackberry phone; is supposed to download the complete file, and do a file CRC check, parity check, and then a full integrity check before executing the install. When you download files using your computer, the OS does this type of thing before it allows the install.

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Guru I
John_Clark

While I'm sure its possible you could download a 400MB file over the mobile network my guess is the carriers would cry foul and are the likely reason it doesn't work this way.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

John_Clark wrote:
While I'm sure its possible you could download a 400MB file over the mobile network my guess is the carriers would cry foul and are the likely reason it doesn't work this way.

agreed

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

For people who operate tablets and tether to a laptop, it is possible to easily require a 3 GB or greater plan size over the mobile network. I use a laptop tethered to my Blackberry. I average 2 GB or greater per month of data usage just for the laptop. I have gone as high as 4 GB per month. A 400  mb to 600 mb file once in a while would not be an issue.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.