Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Is BlackBerry misreading the market and missing another opportunity?

It seems to me that history is going to be repeated - again! Those in power at the "new" BlackBerry seem to think that tablets are a dead end - "can't make money on hardware". Well, they should look at Samsung and their strategy to create a complete user experience by offering the right tool, phones and tablets, for the right job. An integrated solution. What a clever idea! 

I guess a good pager will never need to be evolved into a cellphone, and nobody ever would want to type on a screen. Right guys?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Is BlackBerry misreading the market and missing another opportunity?

[ Edited ]

godot2011 wrote:

It seems to me that history is going to be repeated - again! Those in power at the "new" BlackBerry seem to think that tablets are a dead end - "can't make money on hardware". Well, they should look at Samsung and their strategy to create a complete user experience by offering the right tool, phones and tablets, for the right job. An integrated solution. What a clever idea! 

I guess a good pager will never need to be evolved into a cellphone, and nobody ever would want to type on a screen. Right guys?

I abolutely think they've missed a HUGE opportunity and history will show that. Thorsten's statement about "tablets will be dead in 5 years" is five years worth of losses in my opinion.

The PlayBook as it is isn't that bad actually, in fact, it's pretty good. Yes it has a totally BETA OS on it currently full of problems and it desperately needs a spec bump (RAM, CPU, better ports) BUT, in my opinion, if OS 10.2 was on slightly better hardware and if they could reach a price point of about $250-300, these things would fly off the shelves. I mean if Walmart can release the Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Android) for $149 with all kinds of high end features (GPS, NFC, good quality Nexus 7 like screen, HDMI, BlueTooth 3, microSDHC etc.) I know BlackBerry could do it too (hopefully offering at least 2 GB internal RAM, and 16 - 32GB ROM). The Sero 7 Pro does have some build quality issues (flexing rear case for example and decent picture camera but terrible video quality - but they've already begun to address these things by adding internal spars for bracing and an update might be in the works for the video algorithm) but its sets the bar very high for others to contest with at a low price point. Not only that but you can already root it and install custom ROMS.

Please use plain text.