Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Slider9499
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0

Is it Risky Buying Playbook with all of the problems that RIM is having?

The latest financial report from RIM is not a good one. With a loss of approximately 30% in sales, the question that begs to be answered is... How risky is it to purchase a Playbook that may not have a company supporting it one year from now? I have been researching tablets and the Playbook by far has received the most accolades of any tablet excluding the iPad. That being said, I decided that the Playbook is the device that best suits my business and personal needs. From its seamless document integration and powerful business tools to "the best" tablet browser on the market, IMHO- this is the best overall value in the tablet market today. But what is the real value of the device if a year from now RIM files bankruptcy protection and us users don't have anywhere to turn for support or a company backing its product? I would love to hear thoughts and comments from the community on this issue before i go out and purchase one Peace, Slider
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Is it Risky Buying Playbook with all of the problems that RIM is having?

I don't think so. I am also buying my Playbook next week and I believe that RIM will do their best to cope up with this crisis.

...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MountainDew
My Device: Playbook

I don't think you can go wrong with the playbook, particularly with the rather low investment compared to others. There are up sides and downsides for all of them. My wife has the 'I' one but I prefer my PB.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Slider9499
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0

Ok

I might use it for a game or two

As for attachements via the iPad, I am job hunting and cannot attach a resume to any of my emails or even from within a company website.

I dont use Netflix now but do access HBO GO and a few other sites. My main use for it will be web browsing, reading mags and such plus using it for work i.e. writing, note taking, creating presentations, etc.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MountainDew

The PB can do all that, and in style. BTW there are some new 7" tablets on the market so maybe RIM got it right with the 7" PB, at least for a good segment of the market.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note

I have the PB and it's a very capable tablet.

But with the uncertainty surrounding RIM I would not buy a PB today since there are other choices.

I would check out the Google Nexus7 tablet which is selling for $199 (8gb) $249 (16gb).

The Windows 8 tablets are coming soon and may also be worth checking out.

I have switched from a BB phone to the Samsung Galaxy Note when my contract expired in April and have found the Note to fill most of my needs as its like a small tablet and the Google NAV with traffic are very useful.

DC-IT
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i doubt RIM will will die anytime soon, my company just purchased 25 phones for our Canadien office and just bought a playbook for my mother in law.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
encarma
My Device: Playbook 64GB Wifi

I just bought a 64gb PB for $200 with 3 cases, HDMI adapter, and screen protector. . .My thoughts before trying it were that of 'this device must really suck to be so cheap'. . . however as soon as i turned it on i was pleasantly suprised, and have forever since been baffled as to why it doesnt have more hype. . .I dont think this product will die, I think its in a temporary low because of its intial lack of features... That is;

• AppWorld was brand new so not many apps, and the look of the app world was appalling (looks a little better now, still needs improvement,.. plenty of apps though, dont see a need to complain about content).
  • Initial costs were over priced so gave people a negative spin on the device before they turned it on.
  • No email or contacts (i mean seriously, this is what a majority of people will turn their devices on each morning for, at least at my work thats what they use it for).
  • No 3G device option (you may not agree, but i see it as a way to know a product has been well developed and not just rushed out)

Anyway, I see it as the best tablet at the momment because:

• Native hdmi out is just awesome, i have tried a few android devices and apples ipad2 and their output does not compare.
  • Video playback... it plays most formats, but if it doesnt then their is an app called moviewatch which converts any file type/size it a playable format (you can choose to save the new format file or just watch striaght away).. simply awsome, i converted a 6.5gb flv file and the sound to video sync worked perfectly, not to mention quality was right up there.. neither my galaxy tab 10.1 or my bro's ipad 2 could play this file.
  • Browser is leagues ahead of any android browser (Safari might be comparable, but still, Dolphin browser for all its good points is just not as smooth, slick and quick loading as PB's default).
  • It can sideload google apps.. however, as fun as this is, it has problems with apps that use bluetooth and wifi in the scripts (i believe?) and thus i think the apps with RSS feeds or inbuilt ads seem to stuff up a little. not to worry, most playbook built apps work better anyway - i actually wish they would separate the two types in the appworld so i can choose 'Apps that are awesome'  or  'Apps that have been given a quick convert from an inferior OS'
  • Lastly, similar to the point above, QNX is uncomparable to android, and iOS with all its grandure is still a fair bit behind 

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MountainDew

Where is the app 'moviewatch'? I can not find it in the App Store.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BP4567
My Device: blackberry playbook

It's Canadian not Canadien (unless you mean the hockey team - the Montreal Canadiens)

-cheers,  a Canuck

Please use plain text.