Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
londonpride
My Device: Blackberry 9900

Is the BB Playbook really at an end?

Good morning,

As a enthusiastic owner of a BB Playbook as is my wife, recent media/info appears to show that its time has come however, a recent software update and now the 4G versions appears to show this maybe not the case, or am I just reading too much into it?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Is the BB Playbook really at an end?

The 4G model Playbook was released well over a year ago, and yes, BlackBerry has definitively stated that the PlayBook line of devices will not be continued and that support will continue on. There was recently an OS upgrade released which actually surprised owners.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Blackberry said they will support the playbook. The question is how long Blackberry the  consumer device company will exist after the buyout by Fairfax, because promises mae by a closed company may not be fulfilled. They had enough trouble while they were "healthy" . After the buyout, if it succeeds, they may concentrate on business servers, they may auction off their patents. Several  providers are already trying to avoid selling BB phones and their  one manufacturing partner is considering parting company with them. So the future is by no means certain. Enjoy it while it still works. 

Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

may may may...

It's all speculation, and all we know at this point is the actual information already given us.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
londonpride

Thank you for your replies, we haven't long had 4G in the UK and only certain parts are covered, plus its only recently other mobile networks have had the facility other than EE. We have always had BB both phones and playbooks so it will be a sad day when we will have to change to Apple etc. Fingers crossed that it will never happen!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

JSanders wrote:

may may may...

It's all speculation, and all we know at this point is the actual information already given us.

I think they told us once after the BB10 debacle that they would support playbooks but would not develop the software further.  We now have to assume that it's security updates only.

Then Z10 and Q10 sales went hooters up and they are selling up.  It will not get better.

Thank you, I'll hang on to what I have for the time being and see what happens. Sad really when BB has been around for all these years with many loyal customers. Good news, if it still happens re playbook!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

londonpride wrote:

Thank you, I'll hang on to what I have for the time being and see what happens. Sad really when BB has been around for all these years with many loyal customers. Good news, if it still happens re playbook!

Yes. My two just keep going. Both have battery health around 90%. Everything works (except the new google doodle videos - nobody answered my post so kt may be just my two). Seem very robust.

One warning, Europe was targetted with "unlocked 3G+ " models by some online suppliers, but without a matching SIM from a Blackberry partner provider they don't get any updates. As far as I know no such partner exists in UK. 

Thank you for your input our two Playbooks still work as new with good battery life especially when compared to some lower end tablets. We have no intention of changing until we have to. We don't have the 3G versions thus use only wifi which suits us just fine. Regards.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

I use my spare (non-email) playbook with Magellan Maps and a portable 3g Broadband Huawei MiFi as a sat nav. Bit of DIY on a bracket.  It does need to be online but can be tethered to a phone for it. GPS take-up on Magellan is great and it stays on (no time-out)

Also if you know how to Sideload apps, the Amazon Kindle reader app is very good. Not as light as a Kindle but it has a backlight!

Whilst it still functions and the apps are backed up there is no reason why it should not go on for another two years. 

DSCN1765.jpg