Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

Is this stolen?

An elderly lady down the street from me bought a used PlayBook from someone she knows. She asked me to help her set it up. She is elderly, honest and sometimes quite naive. Although these are sold in town for about $199, she paid $300 for it. I tried to activate it for her, but it takes me to a screen that says, "Could not activate this tablet. (132353)". I've attempted to contact support several times via phone, but as soon as an agent answers, the sound on the phone is very faint and the agent says that they can hardly hear me and hangs up. I've attempted to call from several of my friends phones and get the same response. My concerns are as follows; Can this device be activated for her to use? Has it been stolen? If it was stolen, how can I return it to the original owner? Finally, shouldn't the support lines for a company that deals with telecommunications be a little more reliable (this is rhetorical, but obvious)?

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Is this stolen?

[ Edited ]

Hi Mahoney77,

You can contact the PlayBook users using his BB ID email ID. Go to Options > About. Under BB ID you'll fine an email ID and may consider contacting the existing user of the PlayBook.

As the PlayBook is a used one you need to have a security wipe first and then try to set us email. Check the below KB and Help Blog articles on setting up PlayBook.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Tanzim, not sure how any of that is relevant to someone trying to activate a playbook.

I would say try another wifi location.  if that works her wifi may need adjusting.

Hope this guy was not a friend, may have to call the cops, bit of a dirty trick.

At this point, if this was a stolen PlayBook, I can't locate the original owner. If it was not stolen, I can't activate it. The support for Blackberry is practically nonexistent. I'm glad that I found this out so I know never to bother purchasing anything from Blackberry. As for my neighbor, I had her fill out a police report to press charges against the person that she bought it from. I doubt that she will get her money back and it doesn't look like the original owner will get their item back either. Everybody loses. Knowing this leaves me with the conclusion that I would be better off paying for an iPad. I know that their support can actually be contacted and produce results.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

What in blazes has it got to do with RIM support if your neighbour got ripped off by a crook. 

Did you even try what I asked?  

I was able to connect it at 4 different WiFi locations. The results did not change. I have the ability to connect after multiple reboots and to configure the network settings, but no way to get to any other settings. Once it connects, it goes straight back to the error.

I understand that she was ripped off. That part is being dealt with. The problem is that there is no way for me to do anything with this thing to find out who I should return this to. At this point, I really don't even care. Support refuses to make an effort at even talking to me. I've put way too much effort in to attempting to try to do the right thing. I've decided to let her deal with pressing charges on the people that scammed her and let the Blackberry rot in the evidence room. I know how the police operate in this county and I know that there will be no attempt to return the item.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

Are you located in the USA?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

If the PlayBook has been stolen, you cannot do anything with it unless you have the original BlackBerry ID as well as the original password that was used when the PlayBook in question was originally set up. It is only good for a decoration or paperweight. It will not upgrade or work. Tell the elderly lady, too bad, so sad.