Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Issues with keyboard entry

1. From time to time the predictive text disappears.  Spellchecker works but no corrective suggestions. The problem can be cleared by restarting the PB.

2. I stumbled on this problem by setting my keyboard to AUTOMATIC.  With this setting it is impossible to enter a message on this bulletin board.  The cursor jumps between the title line and the entry area and the characters you enter change from  upper case to lower case at will. Restarting the PB will not solve this problem. Resetting the keyboard to QWERY will. 

I hope they will not release BB10 phones with bugs like this. 

Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Issues with keyboard entry

I haven't noticed either of those issues on mine.

2. My keyboard has been set to Automatic since purchase, a year and half ago... no issues at all using this forum and typing messages/posts.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can say that I had never experienced almost any of the problems folks are complaining about. However, the jumping and case changing characters are weird. I changed my keyboard back to AUTOMATIC and as I write this it seems to work OK. Go figure. What is AUTOMATIC anyway? Can't find an explanation in Help.

As for the disappearing act of the predictive text. It has been bugging me for several OS releases, but it is relative easy to fix.

Solutions: 6,170

The Automatic keyboard settings "sees" your preferred language on the PlayBook and adjusts the keyboard to match the preferred keyboard for that region of the world... such as German or Dutch would prefer the use of a "QWERTZ" keyboard. US and UK english would prefer the known QWERTY keyboard.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

If I create a new thread on this forum with title abcdefg it goes in as AbCdEfG whatever the keyboard setting.

The body of the post is awful to try and type.

It has been reported before.  it may be in certain regions but this forum is incompatible with playbooks when creating a thread.

Replying is no problem.

jarviser wrote:

If I create a new thread on this forum with title abcdefg it goes in as AbCdEfG whatever the keyboard setting.

The body of the post is awful to try and type.

It has been reported before.  it may be in certain regions but this forum is incompatible with playbooks when creating a thread.

Replying is no problem.

Yea, I've read that before. Testing it now.

So, yea it jumped back forth from the thread title to the body, but I hit the backspace key a couple of times and it cleared up and the type input and everything worked ok.

Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now we maybe cooking! Thanks J.S. for explaining 'Automatic' settings for the keyboard. Now, I live in Canada, actually I can almost see RIM' HQ, So I set the machine the Canada as the home country.

Now here is a possibility; if the software assumes we use British version of English AND our friend jarviser, who also noticed this problem, is flying the Union Jack, hence presumably speaks British English ..... Bingo. The problem maybe related the setting the keyboard to AUTOMATIC and the home country to a country which presumably speaks "real English - just so a joke OK? - the software acts funny.

I agree that responding to a post works almost correctly, regardless of the keyboard setting. The enrty has some weird highlighted fields, but this is only mildly annoying and goes away after I started to type.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I find that game playing alters my predictive testing and I usually reboot my PlayBook after my grandson uses it for games. Throughout the history of home computers (early 80's) games have been the cutting edge of the technology and game playing has always altered computer setting for better or worse. I think the same thing is still happening IMHO.
Super Contributor

You maybe correct, but as I said rebooting will not fix this problem. Setting the keyboard to qwerty will.

Maybe some part of the software was written by an English speaking chap and part was written by a Southern Gentleman from the states?  

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Mine always resets when I reboot.
You must be referring to Joey as that Southern Gent.