Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier
Accepted Solution

Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

[ Edited ]

So my son left a few apps running and went to bed with out putting it on a charger. we also have a few vacation pics on it too and I tried everything to get it to boot up. I even hooked up a amp meter to see if it was taking a charge at all. there was no red LED at all and it is out of warranty too. do not do this if it is in warranrty.

first I used a credit card to open the back of the playbook open. real easy to do from the charge port side and run it around.

I looked at the battery connector and my meter showed 2 volts. thats less than the 2.8 seal voltage in this KB BlackBerry PlayBook Power - Battery charge and discharge characteristics

I had it on a charger for over 4 days with no LED still and needed to try something that i do with my tractor all the time. Jump start it!  Since the battery is too low to start the playbook, why not trick it into thinking it is at proper voltage.

I hooked up the OEM playbook charger to the playbook and then with a spare USB cable cut open I hooked the ends of the wires to my playbook while connected to a OEM Torch cube charger. Mind you that I did test the polarity with a meter and know that the black is negative and red is positive on my USB cable. I snipped the singal wires off since they would not be used.

USB.jpg

Warning this can cause an explosion if not done right, dont try it unless you know the polarity is correct and know that lithium batteries are dangerous at this low level. have sand not water near to put it out. I am not reponsible if you try this. dont do it unless you know what + and - means.

I then touched my powered and cut USB cable to the two points in the following pic for a few seconds and I had a red LED for 10 seconds and my amp meter showed current flow (.02) and stopped. Then tried it again and held it there for about 3 min and then the playbook LED turned on again with green 5 flashing times and now a steady current draw is shown on my meter.

the two arrows show where 5 volts from a standard torch or bold charger was applied with wires. I only held them in place by hand.

IMG-20120710-00081.jpg

ok so now after charging for about 10 min, i removed power and battery shows 2.8 volts and playbook now shows charging screen, going to leave it a bit this way and check back in a while.

My son it litterally jumping up and down with excitment as we are going on a 3+ hour drive for camping in two days.

will post back in a few once it powers up but since the battery voltage is rising it should be good to go.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

success

IMG-20120710-00092.jpg

my meter was showing .01 to .02 when slow charging and now shows .10

I have a happy son now and this will be a nice trip.

again, dont try this at home unless you know what you are doing

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Would you post your address please so we can send your our dead PlayBooks and you can get them going? Pretty Please?
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

it is against Terms of service to post an address and I would not want to risk breaking some one elses playbook or be blamed for the unknown that can happen with a repair like this

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Did the Engine Degreaser help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

That was used to remove the crud on the otterbox, it was filthy from his use.

Regular Contributor
sam81
My Device: PlayBook 32GB, Z10, Bold 9700, Pearl 8110

Nicely played knotty. I wondered if something like this would work if needed
New Developer
xeozus
My Device: Playbook 16GB

Great.. and congratulation of your efforts..

:smileyhappy:

Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Nice one.

Who the man? Knotty the man!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
JSanders
Solutions: 5,978
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Good work! When you told me you were doing this, I prayed "Oh God help him!"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code