Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

JSanders wrote:

Good work! When you told me you were doing this, I prayed "Oh God help him!"

Thanks for that, I am sure it helped me achieve it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
Rockinrog
My Device: 64Gig Playbook

Also I thank you for sharing this tip because I had this issue to. What I had that worked was the Playbook rapid charger which I had to connect and disconnect for a few times, sometimes quickly for a few tries to get the flashing green led lights. Eventually I happily saw the continuous red led and charging commenced. As was your issue  I had the dreaded missing icons on my 64 gig PB....After several security wipes and unsuccessful backup restores I decided a few game saves weren't worth it and started fresh again. So now I'm happy with my PlayBook once again. 

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Glad to have helped you out.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
clef213
My Device: playbook

My playbook is new haven't done the initial setup. But cuting the long story, now it doesn't power on anymore. If I connect it to desktop mgr its lifeless, not aa single sign of connection. However if I connect to power or usb, it flashes Red LED for 5x at intervals. I've plugged it for 8hours but all it does is blink red led 5x at intervals. I don't even think its charging at all even though its blinking red LED at 5x cos if I disconnect the charger or USB then its lifeless again. Has anyone seen this? Or is it just me. I've tried all wat I read in people post except d jumpstarting part. Does anyone have a clue as to solution to this pls? Kindly help!
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Press n hold power button down for 20 seconds and try charging again.

jumpstarting is a last resort if NO LEDs are present and you have charged it for 48 hours prior

New Contributor
clef213
My Device: playbook

Ok, I'm charging again. Though red LED still blinking 5x at intervals after plugging to power, but I'll just keep plugged for 24hrs and see if anything would be different. Grateful
Developer
brentcameron
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Thanks for this.  It is really helpful when your battery is completely dead (as can easily happen when you try repeatedly to get it going after it reaches power off state).  The power on cycle of the PlayBook can easily drag the battery below 2.7 volts at which point, it won't even display lights.  I don't believe you actually need to jump start your battery however as  you can rely upon the included wall charger or rapid charger accessory.

Like you, I wasn't having much luck with stack charging and my voltages were substantially lower than 2.7 volts which is the minimum level to get even a flashing red light (let alone the red and then green flashes where stack charging really helps).  

I experimented around a bit with my multimeter and found that unlike much of the speculation on the forums, there really is no need to unplug when stack charging for 2 minutes (at least when you are below 2.7 volts).  The PlayBook seems to take charge (from either the Rapid Charger or the included wall charger for 45 or 55 seconds (respectively) and then stop charging.  I left the multimeter on and it never seemed to automatically reconnect to the charging source so leaving it plugged in seems useless - perhaps it reconnects every hour or so but I didn't have the patience to hold my multimeter to those tiny points for that long!

What I found works almost immediately is to plug in the charger and then simply disconnecting and then reconnect every 45 seconds... longer than 45 seconds and you are wasting your time - ditto for leaving it unplugged for any lenght of time.  This continues the charging cycle to "stack" enough charge into the battery to get it to the point that the red/green lights start flashing again and you can use a regular charger.  DO NOT TRY TO RESTART THE DEVICE UNTIL IT HAS AT LEAST 20% CHARGE after this... as that power up cycle will take the battery right down below 2.7 volts again and you are back at square one.  Let it sit on the charger for at least an hour as in this low voltage mode, it only charges at a trickle rate.  Once it has a decent charge, you can fire it up and it'll take the rest of the charge much quicker.

I must admit, the PlayBook's charging circuits are not quite ready for primetime.  I understand that the battery is most dangerous when charging with low voltage and it wants the microprocessor to regulate the charging voltage but it should allow the microprocessor to feed directly off the charging circuit voltage so that a user can simply plug in their charger and not worry about it.  I suspect this was a design issue and they've been trying to fix it with software ever since.  

Thanks again for this...  you've added substantially to the pile of collective wisdom on the topic.

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I dont know what voltage it was at when depleted but after 4 days of charging and stack charging, mine was at 2 volts. It might have taken a week to get back to 2.7. The jump starting tricks it to think teh battery is a bit more charged and gets into teh next charge step.

Most people dont get their this depleted. They have LED that lights up on most posts here.

Glad to have offered some insight on this for you.

Contributor
apothecare
My Device: Playbook 16g

Hi Knottyrope,

I'm in the same position, and have critical files that I need on my PB but cannot charge it, so I may have to resort to this process myself

One question though... how did you open the case without breaking it? Do you pry it open using the two small holes on the edge adjacent to the power/volume switches?

thanks for the excellent thread, so glad SOMEBODY is trying to solve these problems

Contributor
apothecare
My Device: Playbook 16g

Well, times up....the PB has been hooked up to different chargers for 5 straight days now and I don't even get a red LED anymore...I think it's safe to say that it will not charge the conventional way :smileysad:

Unfortunately, when I examine the interior of the PB the connector board that Knottyrope shows in his picture is different from mine.. Knottyrope? did you find a schematic for your board that ID's those specific points? how did you know that applying the current THERE would charge the battery?

playbook zoom small.jpg

Now, I'm stuck, the fibreboard overlay doesn't have the same detail as yours....any clues?