Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

I have not see that style board. I used a meter to find the correct pins to apply power to.

I am not sure if your can be jump started or not. there might be some contacts under that sheilded piece but can see from your picture.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Hoursofhate
My Device: Playbook

Thank you so much i have spent weeks on this this needs a full video on how to dismantle and repair this caugh hack engineering flaw I owe you my new friend this was a gift to my mother for her birth day she let it die in one week 

after reading this post took me 2 hours to fix it my battery was down to less then 2 volts and i swaped out the usb and stack charged and jumped back to the chargeing dock holly **bleep** green light i jumped with joy..:Clap:

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Glad it helped you.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
clef213
My Device: playbook

After a lot of effort without result, the RIM rep. Processed an RMA for me so i returned the playbook. But eventually they couldnt fix it either so they sent me a new one. However i need to say the customer service was impressive! I sent the PB on thurs and it was returned on friday even though it was done oversea it took less than48hrs! 

Conclusion; sometimes d power issue might just be a factory problem just like mine so try to contact the customer support before u let it drive you nut....like i almost did

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cesar128
My Device: Playbook

knottyrope wrote:

I have not see that style board. I used a meter to find the correct pins to apply power to.

I am not sure if your can be jump started or not. there might be some contacts under that sheilded piece but can see from your picture.

This is the other side, i got the same problem with the same battery. i would like to try it but dont know how

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Good job Knottyrope! I'd term this the "Flatliner technique" because it reminds me of the paddles they put on you when your heart stops... :smileywink:

This is sort of related and sort of not since it's a different product (Creative Zen MP3 player) but perhaps we can draw a correlation between a dead battery experience I had on that device and what seems to afflict the PlayBook. 

One night I fell asleep with my Zen on, playing music at a low level. It played through a good chunk of 32 GB of music from full charge to completely dead charge. Long story short, the device was dead at that point. It wouldn't take a normal charge and wouldn't function at all no matter what I seemed to do. So in my frustration, I took the wall charger (which is a mini-SD charger) and cycled through plugging it in and unplugging it while simultaneously cycling the on/off slider. Long story short, it WORKED and I got a blue light of hope (a slowly pulsating light), once I got that light, I left the player to charge for a few hours. Then I looked at it and sure enough, I had a green light with a lightning bolt on it and the charge was increasing. Eventually it was back to normal. Revived from the dead.

So what am I rambling on about here and what's my point? Perhaps there is a method of cycling buttons, plugging in and unplugging cables/power source (leave the USB cable attached to the device and cycle it through the plug to spare the fragile nature of your USB port if you try this...) that will "jolt" the device back to life like you accomplished here (but in a last ditch and extreme method)? It somehow allows a circuit to connect and allow a charge...

I'm not an electronic kind of guy, but I don't like to fail or give up easily. For me, if this ever happens in my future, I would sacrifice a USB cable to see if I could replicate your Flatline technique. Hopefully we can come up with a decent set of steps that are less extreme though since this seems to be a flaw in the design of the PB's according to the many dead PB's we read about on here. 

Moral of my story here? Use Airplane mode or manually shut off your Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth before you go into standby. Better yet, shut down your PB's at the end of the day. Standby will deplete your battery but at a slower rate. Do not lull yourself into belief that Standby mode is the answer to your disdain for shutting it down fully. Now that boot times have been slashed to 1:30-2:00 mins, it's one of the first things you could do as part of your morning routine once you're done clearing the sleep out from your eyes. Once you came back from your bathroom duties, you will have a freshly booted PlayBook with a charge!

Please use plain text.
mcdobald
My Device: Playbook 16G

I checked the polarity of my playbook battery as indicated by the red and black arrows but it's the opposite. The center is positive and both sides are negative. Please advise.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Maybe you have a new style connector. I have not tried on one of those yet.
If voltage is same on both, you could ohm them out to see if the same connection and pick one to jump start. Please post a pic of the connecter.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Well done, KnGyver !

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DragonR1
My Device: bb playbook

mine is also different, one of the newer style I think.  Is it possible to charge the battery with the motherboard and speakers detached?  My thinking here is without any draw on the battery it should be able to recover.  If not I will bring home my multi meter tomorrow.   

Please use plain text.