Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
hollyjey
My Device: Blackberry Playbook & Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

KOBO hates me

Wondering if anyone else having issues. I bought a new book on Kobo and I can read it on my computer desktop app, but the Playbook won't load anything except the free preview content. So I get to the end of Chapter 1 and it says to go to the store to buy the book. BUT I ALREADY BOUGHT THE BOOK!! Is this happening to anyone else? Is there a solution while I wait for Kobo to e-mail me back suggesting that I delete and re-install the app (tried that already)?

Contributor
idon12no
My Device: Wife's PlayBook

Re: KOBO hates me

I haven't had this exact same problem, but I have had the feeling that Kobo hates me too. I bought a book, and it seems like I only get to read it offline when Kobo feels like it.

Super Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10

Right now my Kobo is working but there are always issues. Kobo is not the most customer centric or service oriented company out there, actually it's the pits and an embarrassement to even have it on the PB. That said, when you buy a book you need to have WiFi turned on and then wait, sometime quite a while while their servers decide to download the book you bought. Then you can buy a book and everything works fine.  It's not a WiFi or bandwidth issue, it's just bad infrastructure on their part in my opinion. Servers are always down or all sorts of other issues. Emailing or even phoning are useless, they're in a world of denial. But I keep buying books from them because that's all there is for now. BB really needs to find another partner. So my suggestions, do a re-start , have Wi Fi turned on and make sure you're connected, then open the app and see if it downloads the book.

Contributor
idon12no

I've bought one book so far and that's exactly how it went for me. I thought it must be my crappy Internet connection that caused my book to load so slowly. My kindle purchases have always been silky smooth, and I agree with you when you say that Kobo on the pb is an embarrassment. I think I read that you can side load the kindle app on pb, so I'm going to look into that. I'll post something back on here if I do. 

New Contributor
hollyjey

Thanks, but Wi-Fi is not the problem. I had full connection when I made the purchase through the app, but it just refuses to download the entire book no matter what I try. I've removed the book and re-downloaded it. I've removed it and deleted the app and reinstalled and re-downloaded. I've restarted everything repeatedly. Signed in and out. Bookmarked it with the desktop app in chapter 2. It just won't give me past the preview content in the Playbook app only. There has got to be a better way to read on the Playbook than buying from Kobo, downloading the Epub and using an epub reader. It's not 1982, why doesn't Kobo get it together??

Contributor
tcrawfor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800

Yes this exact same thing happened to me on the weekend.

Unfortunately it was just after the 668 update, and at first

thought it might be because of that.

However now I think it is because Kobo has a big problem.

I tried deleting the Kobo app and resinstalling but it didnt' help.

As far as I can figure, Kobo will only download and let you read books that are DRM protected.

The preview I got was DRM protected, but the book when I bought the full version, is not,

and so does not download to my playbook.

I can go on the internet, even from my playbook, go to my kobo acount, and download

the full book, and open it, and read it, just not with Kobo.

I opened and incident with Kobo, and here is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care and I apologize for the delay. Some of the books you have purchased/gotten for free are actually EPUB DRM-Free formatted file types, which are not compatible with BlackBerry devices. You are more than welcome to read them on your Desktop application on your computer but they won't fully load on your devic"

So what they are telling me is that they will sell me a DRM-Free book via the Kobo app on my playbook,

but will not let me read it there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I am on the verge of scrapping my Kobo account all together, especially since my Kobo reader

broke and I ended up throwing it away because they would not even quote me on repairing it.

-J

Super Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10

What a crock, that's a rediculous answer and doesn'tt even make sense. Like I said, no customer service and now no technical capability.
New Contributor
hollyjey

Thank you for your reply, J (tcrawfor)! I thought it was a result of the latest Playbook update as well, but of course it is a Kobo issue. I just hoped someone had an answer while I was waiting for Kobo to respond to my complaint. So since they said that it is this DRM thing, did they happen to mention that they FIX the problem? (Why am I even asking, it's Kobo, of course they're not fixing it).

The reason I use Kobo is because it was available on the Playbook (which I still love) and I get a lot of Chapters gift cards from people and Kobo accepts it. I think it's **bleep** that ebooks are charged full HST when real books are only 5% taxed. I think it's **bleep** that now I have to use an epub reader on the Playbook to read my books bought through Kobo. If anyone can teach me how else I can easily read books on the Playbook, I will gladly stop using Kobo.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

tcrawfor wrote:

Yes this exact same thing happened to me on the weekend.

Unfortunately it was just after the 668 update, and at first

thought it might be because of that.

However now I think it is because Kobo has a big problem.

I tried deleting the Kobo app and resinstalling but it didnt' help.

As far as I can figure, Kobo will only download and let you read books that are DRM protected.

The preview I got was DRM protected, but the book when I bought the full version, is not,

and so does not download to my playbook.

I can go on the internet, even from my playbook, go to my kobo acount, and download

the full book, and open it, and read it, just not with Kobo.

I opened and incident with Kobo, and here is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care and I apologize for the delay. Some of the books you have purchased/gotten for free are actually EPUB DRM-Free formatted file types, which are not compatible with BlackBerry devices. You are more than welcome to read them on your Desktop application on your computer but they won't fully load on your devic"

So what they are telling me is that they will sell me a DRM-Free book via the Kobo app on my playbook,

but will not let me read it there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I am on the verge of scrapping my Kobo account all together, especially since my Kobo reader

broke and I ended up throwing it away because they would not even quote me on repairing it.

-J

wow that sucks in a bad way

this hurts the blackBerry brand too

I hope someone listens and fixes this

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
idon12no

Sorry if you guys take this as an unrelated post, but since we're on about a PB problem. Has anyone's video store stopped working since the latest update? I was finally going to rent something and I've been unable to get access to the video store since the last update. I had only tried accessing a few times before the update, but it had always worked, and now it doesn't. Or any advice on how I can uninstall the video store?