Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
Accepted Solution

Keeping the screen on?

Hello, me again. Another question.

I am using my Playbook as a sat nav. However, every four minutes the screen dims and blacks out. I have 'Keep screen alive' installed and on, but it does not work. Has any other user found a way to keep the screen permanently on when using a sat nav app.

Hope you can help

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

Re: Keeping the screen on?

rossjackson01 wrote:

Hello, me again. Another question.

I am using my Playbook as a sat nav. However, every four minutes the screen dims and blacks out. I have 'Keep screen alive' installed and on, but it does not work. Has any other user found a way to keep the screen permanently on when using a sat nav app.

Hope you can help

Regards

Ross

Magellan Compas 3.12 does that, as long as this program is visible in some part of the the screen, the screen will still be ON

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

rat-7

Thank you for that reply. I have reinstalled Magellan Compass. Are you well versed in the programme? I would appreciate a contact and help. I have never been able to get it to work off-line. I have many issues with the programme. I find it so user un-friendly, but if it is the only programme that maintains the screen as on, I will persevere.

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

rossjackson01 wrote:

rat-7

Thank you for that reply. I have reinstalled Magellan Compass. Are you well versed in the programme? I would appreciate a contact and help. I have never been able to get it to work off-line. I have many issues with the programme. I find it so user un-friendly, but if it is the only programme that maintains the screen as on, I will persevere.

Regards

Ross

I am not really verse with, but i have found a few tricks, like to make sure it will work offline, what i do is to use my home WIFI connection at the community zoom level and then I scroll through the map and once in a while I go into the setting and in the CACHE section I make to save the map section that I just scroll through and they are after that available offline

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Have just removed Magellan... again. I travel the UK and continent so need to be able to plot a destination form wherever I am in the UK. Unfortunately having to download all maps to block or street is too time consuming. Therefore I am back to using Osmand which turns off/dims after 4 minutes.

Is there any way to keep the screen active?  As I said in the earlier post. 'Keep screen alive' doen't.

I really like the size of the playbook and would like to get a system working.

By the way Google maps using GPS doesn't work either. Another £5.00 wasted.

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

The sideloaded android google maps aka latitude works with gps.  gps on playbook really only works outdoors.

But honestly, get a tomtom??

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the comment Jarviser.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

What I meant was, for example theres a really good free spirit level app, but if I was thinking of building a wall I would get a proper builder's level. Satnav on Playbook is something you might use to find a theatre in the city, not for travelling a continent in the car. It hasn't the va va voom.

[ Edited ]

Thank you. I will not be in a car, I will be in a coach and the tomtom screen of 4.3" is over 2' away. Hence the use of a 7" screen.

Please use plain text.