Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
SacredRide
My Device: Playbook & Torch

Kindle Cloud Reader

Just tried out the new Kindle Cloud Reader on my PB.  It's not meant specifically for the playbook (was actually designed by Amazon as a way around Apple's app store), but it seems to be a good alternative way to access my kindle books since it doesn't appear a PB app is on its way anytime soon.  Go to read.amazon.com to sign in.  It will automatically sync your Kindle library, as well as your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights for all of your Kindle books.  I was able to download my books directly off this cloud reader so that they could be read offline.

Contributor
SacredRide

Re: Kindle Cloud Reader

One other quick note...open the website in portrait mode. Landscape mode is pretty useless.
Contributor
mprado
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

SacredRide are you reading the books straight off the website or are you some how reading them from an app on the PlayBook?

I'm confused sorry :smileyvery-happy:

"Lost in space in search of a cosmic gate"
Momo
Contributor
SacredRide

Momo -  kinda half and half.  Amazon has developed a cool cloud based app for Kindle.  So you open it from your browser, but once you're in there, it looks on screen very much like the actual kindle app on your iPad.  The feature I like the most is definitely that you can continue to read the book offline.

Contributor
mprado
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Got it, thanks.  Offline viewing is definitely a plus.

"Lost in space in search of a cosmic gate"
Momo
Contributor
eric-stewart
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook

Just to add to this.  You can "download and pin" the books...essentially it gets placed into storage on your PlayBook.  Also, while you're connected to WiFi, it works just like a purpose-built Kindle reader in that it automatically synchronizes your last page read to the Amazon cloud so you can pick up where you left off on your BlackBerry or Kindle or whatever when you open the same book (and vice versa, too).  Very slick.

It really is a good example of a well done "cloud app".  One of my favourite features is how nicely it gives your tiled thumbnails of all of your books that you can scroll through.  There are separate tabs in the cloud app, one labeled "downloaded" and the other "library" to differentiate between books that remain on the cloud and others that you've downloaded to persistent storage on your PlayBook.

It will be interesting to see what happens when eventually this gets packaged as a standalone app.  Honestly, I can't see how it would look much better.

Contributor
jamesgoodchild
My Device: Torch

Still not quite there.  I've got a number of ebooks purchased from a variety of sources that I like to access.  It looks like only the Amazon books would come through, not books purchased elsewhere.

New Contributor
donmorrisey
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Ok, need some help since kobo seems to have gone TU i am heading to the kindle cloud.   I went to read.amazon.com and set up a kindle cloud account on my pc and downloaded a book, again on my pc, that is waiting there for me to read it...I can't figure out how to access the kindle cloud account from my playbook.  If I open the pb browser and go to read.amazon.com, I get to a section of the kindle cloud page but can't move on it...what am i doing wrong???  thanks.

Contributor
Mikeplaybook
My Device: playbook

Try the secure site https://read.amazon.com/ and it should ask you to sign in to your amazon account ,after which books will appear.Mike
Trusted Contributor
MiataMike
My Device: Not Specified

Great! Works well and I can read offline! Now I say again what I wrote in the Kobo thread. Boycott Kobo.