If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
mecrtp
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700, Playbook 64G
My Carrier: ATT

Kindle

When it was first announced many months ago a Kindle reader was touted as one of the apps that would be available.  Now I don't see it... am I missing something?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ByronSanford
My Device: Playbook, Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Kindle

I second that! >(

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MrSimmonsSr
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Would be great if we could get an update on if the Kindle app for Playbook is still in the works. Rumors abound that the Kobo deal was exclusive and there will be no Kindle app. We're hoping that isn't the case..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eric-stewart
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

One of the reasons I rationalized my purchase was that there would be a Kindle reader for it. This was announced in September of 2010. If there was not to be a kindle reader I would consider returning iit!
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

It's still in the works last time I saw news about it recently -- it's up to Amazon at this point.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Contributor
eric-stewart
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

RIM would be dumb to start limiting apps in its App Store given how few there are. Also, given the Kindle's penetration in the eBook space, marrying themselves to Kobo would be suspect.

I hope you're right....
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

eric-stewart wrote:
RIM would be dumb to start limiting apps in its App Store given how few there are. Also, given the Kindle's penetration in the eBook space, marrying themselves to Kobo would be suspect.

I hope you're right....

Don't be silly -- this isn't Apple :Rolleyes:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Meglion
My Carrier: Verizon

I just wrote customer service @ Amazon for this same reason, and will post their reply as soon as I get one.  Kobo is not only limited in terms of book selection, but you can only pay by Visa or Mastercard, it's expensive, and it seems to be quite slow.  If I don't hear soon that a Kindle app will be available for the Playbook, I, too, will be seriously considering returning it.

Please contact Amazon customer service and ask them to add a Playbook Kindle app!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Meglion
My Carrier: Verizon

Here is the reply from an Amazon rep:

Hello,

I understand you want to know if the Kindle for BlackBerry application will be made available for Blackberry Playbook.

I've checked and see that we had announced that we'll be launching a Kindle application for BlackBerry Playbook, but we still haven’t released the application or announced any release date for this.

Currently, we don’t have information about the release date but once the release date of the application is decided we'll post that on our website. Please check our apps page from time to time for the update.

www.amazon.com/kindleapps

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Hope springs eternal...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Goros
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Kindle exists for Android. Worse case scenario - wait for the ability to use droid apps and just use that.
Please use plain text.