Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tdf2001
My Device: 8830m
My Carrier: Sprint

Launch day a miss for me...

I am the owner of a 8830m phone and, on a whimp, bought the playbook today. The 8830 is prettty old and I actually trusted the sales guy that the Playbook would support. I am still on 100% but it seems that I need OS 5 and the 8830 only supports OS 4.5.x. Can someone confirm this?

Aside from this, I have not been able to get any answers from support. When I call them, they tell me that I need to register and online, it stated that I am already registered.I have been on hold now for 30 minutes. Earlier people picked up but would/couldn't help me because of the registration issue.

Overall I am disappointed. If I can't get Bridge to work, the Playbook has little value at this point to me and others I suspect. If I need to purchase another phone, then I might as well go Android or iPhone for better support. I will wait a few days and try again but if this continues, I will return it.

Anyone have similar experiences or am I a one off?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SolidSnakeOtaku
My Device: torch ii
My Carrier: att

Re: Launch day a miss for me...

You're correct . You need to have os 5 or 6 to run it. Sorry lad.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
outbound
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Looking at the BlackBerry Bridge app in App World ( http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19435?lang=en ), the 8830 isn't listed and it does say OS 5.0.0 or higher is required.

Looks like you're out of luck

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

I would go back and demand the sales guy get you a new smartphone. you can get a newer curve fairly cheap now or go for a bold or storm. we offer great support on these forums and I have helped countless numbers as well as the other posters here. we love what we do.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tdf2001
My Device: 8830m
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for confirming this. I really like to see this work. I need to get a new Smartphone anyway as I have been eligible for a few months and the 8830 does feel ancient.

Which is currently is most uptodate BB that Sprint offers. I do need the keyboard. Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Sprint has the Bold 9650 and a friend of mine loves it.

Also there is the Style Flip phone as well with keyboard and bigger screen

They do make a Curve 3G as well, similar to your current device with more memory.

Check them out here

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.