Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
ederkley
My Device: Not Specified

Links in email should open in Bridge Browser

[ Edited ]

We use BlackBerry PlayBooks in a government department where the BlackBerry is locked down.

We previously ran the PlayBook OS at v1.06 and when a user clicked on a link in an email, it would open in the Bridge Browser.  We have recently moved a couple of the PlayBooks to v2.1.0.1314 and noticed that now when a link in an email is clicked, it is attempted to be opened in the normal (non-bridge) browser.  We do not have Wi-fi for the PlayBooks so the normal browser does not work.

The Bridge Browser works fine as it connects through their BlackBerry and the office's Internet gateway but I can't get the email app to default to use the Bridge Browser.

I read that it is meant to be "clever" that if the Wi-fi is enabled it will use the normal browser and if Wi-fi is disabled then it *should* use the Bridge Browser, however this does not seem to be happening.

We have tried restarting the device with the Wi-fi disabled but it always tries to use the normal browser no matter what and whether for URLs to internal servers or Internet links.

We have also tried updating to the latest version of the OS v2.1.0.1526 but no luck.

Just after any suggestions before I log a support call with BlackBerry.

Cheers

PS - forgot to mention that we have also tried this using both a BlackBerry Bold and BlackBerry Torch with the latest version of the BlackBerry Bridge app installed.

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: Links in email should open in Bridge Browser

have you looked to see f there is a policy that is allowing the un-bridged browser to be used over the bridged browser?
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
ederkley

Thanks for the suggestion.

We have no policies in place that should affect this as far as I can see.

My understanding is that there are only 2 policies for the PlayBook: one to enable the BlackBerry Bridge (which is enabled and we can access mail, contacts, etc on the BlackBerry phone from the PlayBook) and a second policy on whether the PlayBook can generate and send log files to the BTSC (which is disabled but should not affect the choice of browser on the PlayBook).

Otherwise, the BlackBerry phone browser works fine and is able to access internal servers at the office as well as Internet websites.  The BlackBerry Bridge Browser also works fine if you type a URL into it. 

There is otherwise no policy that we have that sets the default browser on the PlayBook.

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Try un installing the bridge connection on the phone and do a battery pull then delete the pairing on the playbook reboot and reinstall the bridge on the phone and try pairing it up again.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
ederkley

Thanks. Just finished doing all those things you've suggested but no luck I'm afraid.