Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
cuse165
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930,Blackberry Playbook(32GB)

Re: Lithium battery myths dispelled

Yes you are right the Playbook comes with the premium charger. I bought the rapid charger and it works so much better so if you can I would say buy it.  They say the premium charger works faster with Blackberry smart phones but I do not see how. Because it has the same specs(watts,amps,output) as my Blackberry Bold charger.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

go read the fine print on amp or mili amps

report back what you see one them all.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
artie_belafonte
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530 and Playbook OS 1.0.3
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks a lot playbook_fan, your advices have helped me a lot, seems like you know a lot about power supplies and batteries, two thumbs up buddy!!

Keep helping the people in this community please.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

The rapid charger is 26 watts, there were out of stock at BBWC11.

5000 ma compare toe the 1800 of the standard charger.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

Depending on the design of the regulation charging circuits in the device that is being charged, and the minimum brake-over current required to charge the lithium batteries is part of the determination if the battery(s) will charge or not charge. Chargeable batteries have a minimum break-over current for being able to be charged. When the currect supplied is less than the required, the charge rate will not be stable, or may not take on charge.

All devices are supposed to have some type of current regulation and thermo protection for the batteries. This is expecially for the charging. The charger is also current regulated and has protection. As the battery reaches full charge, the charge current is lowered, but the rated charge voltage is maintained. The battery makes the determination of its own floating voltage, which is lower than the opened circuit voltage that is coming from the charger. When the battery is fully charged the charge current is minimal. The average minimal charge current rating is determined by the characteristics of the battery and the design of the charging circuits. For a 5000 ma battery the floating charge current could be typically in the range of about 200 ma average with no battery load.

There are some complex battery designs for specific applications where the charge rates are not linear. At different charge levels the charge current regulation must be re-adjusted according to a particular curve rate. This technique is normally not used on consumer devices.

For current regulation, many of the battery chargers use a pulse width modulated drive on DC. This allows for a low constant current factor, and thus giving a steady charge rate, and allows for less heat over the charge time duration. Some manufactures are using DC only, depending on their required design. There are both advantages and disadvantages in both types of approach.

I did some research in to using a phone charger with the Playbook. I found the regular Blackberry phone charger can take up to 20 hours to fully charge the Playbook providing everything possible has been turned off except the Playbook itself. All the applications must be closed, and incuding the Bluetooth, WiFi, Tethering, and bridge modes.The phone charger becomes very warm, and will have a shorter lifespan.

I found a good quality powered USB hub can charge the Playbook in about 16 hours for a full charge. There cannot be anything else connected to the other ports. The hub must be connected to a computer that has the Playbook drivers loaded.  I have used the Lynksys and the StarTech USB hubs.

The most efficient minimum charge rate for Lithium and lead acid batteries is at 1/4 of the Amp Hour (A/hr) rating of the battery. For a 5000 ma battery the minium efficient charge rate should be at  1250 ma.  This would allow for a 4 hour charge. We then add 10% to this time factor for the overhead. We would then say 4.5 hours as a good estimate. This charge rate is also known in some industries as the 4C charge rate.

My recommendation is to use the charger that came with the Playbook. If you need more chargers, I suggest to order the original proper type. There are universal chargers, but I would not trust them. There is no gaurantee if a clone charger is not in proper specifications to match to the requirements. These are usually designed to cover for a wide range of devices. It would be impossible for it to be dead accurate for the one device that you have.

The optional Playbook fast charger is a bit expensive, but it works very well. It is about the size of a laptop power supply. I have been using it. I like how the connector works. It connects magnetically to the fast charge connector on the bottom of the Playbook. It sucks itself in to proper position and makes for a very firm contact.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

The Playbook premium charger is rated at 1800 ma. The regular phone charger is rated at 700 ma. I would expect the premium charger to charge the phone a bit better than 2X as fast as the regular charger.

Just take care, that the phone battery is much smaller than the one in the Playbook in both size and rating. The premium charger may be a bit hard on the phone battery. The faster you put a charge in to a battery the more internal heat it will generate. This comes from simple thermodynamics.

The best charge rate is a moderate one that makes for compromise between heat and internal electrical stress inside of the battery. There are many articles and much information about this subject.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

When you connect the Playbook to the charger, it will eventually turn on by itself, and then go in to sleep mode.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

are you sure it takes that long? i found the PC was able to charge mine in about 9 hours from 30% to 100. i have used the playbook charger on my torch and little to no heat was generated onto the battery while charging. the Torch itself did get warm from regulating the current.

The Torch charger does work well to charge the playbook, but it does takes longer than the supplied charger and faster than charging via the PC.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

When I refered to the charge time it was in reference to being near zero percent; not partially charged.

If the battery is at 30% this means in theory there is 30% less charge time required.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.