Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Lithium battery myths dispelled

The pocket charger that comes with the Playbook will charge both the phone or the Playbook (one at a time). The Playbook pocket charger will be a fast charger for the phone.

You cannot use the phone charger to charge the Playbook. The phone charger will not charge the Playbook!

I myself carry both chargers so I can charge the two devices at the same time.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I suggest you try to use the phone charger to charge the Playbook before you commit to it.  As for myself, and the other users I know who have the Playblook, the Playbook will not not charge with the phone charger.

It seems that some dealers and some support people are misinforming their customers about this. This is a known issue.

You can use the Playbook pocket charger to charge either the phone or the Playbook successfully.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
cuse165

[ Edited ]

Jerry I must have the only PB that charges off of my BB Bold charger. Oh yeah RIM is lying to me when they say it will work and fine to do. 

I do not understand why people are saying it wont charge if you use a phone charger because it 100% works and RIM told me it will and is safe to do so. Oh yeah I forgot they are lying to me.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,755
My Carrier: Verizon

The BlackBerry smartphone chargers I have, several them, will charge my Playbook. Slow for sure, but most certainly usable.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I can charge my playbook with the torch charger, Bold 9700 charger and via USB on my PC.

Only the Playbook OEM charger will charge it fast, the rest are slow to charge.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I tried the Torch charger myself with the PB. It never properly charged the PB after 24 hours! In fact the Torch charger became very warm!

The PB never displayed the lightning symbol to show it was charging.

I will stay with the rated charger.

Jerrg G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
cuse165

Any AC adapter that has a transformer that steps AC120V down to DC will get warm.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

No charger should overheat to the point where it feels abnormally warm to the touch!  In fact it was feeling sort of hot. 

When charging with the Blackberry phone that it was made for, the charger gets only a bit warm, but not hot to the touch. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
cuse165

[ Edited ]

Yes your right no charger should get HOT but they can get warm.  Not very warm but there is some heat and it will get warm. I bought a fast rapid charger for the PB the transformer gets warm feel your latop ac adapter transformer bet you thats warm.

Thank you
cuse165
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I did some interesting charging tests.

Using the original Blackberry data cable, I found with a computer USB port the PB can be sustained but not charged having no apps opened. This is not practical to charge the PB.

Using the original Blackberry data cable connected to a powered 4 port USB hub will slow charge the PB. All user apps must be off, and the screen must be in standby. The charge rate was about 4% per hour.

The USB hub I used has a 1500 ma power supply. No other devices that require USB power can be connected at the same time as the PB. I found if I plug in a USB keyboard the charge rate went down to about 1% per hour. This is unacceptable.

I have a 7 port USB hub that uses a 2000 ma power supply. This charges the PB at about 6% per hour.

The best is the original Blackberry fast charger. I did not log the percent per hour, but it tops up the battery very quickly.

As for the USB cable, I found the generic cables with any of the Blackberry devices does not work as well as the original cable for charging. I realize the original is expensive, but its worth the difference. I have some friends who bought low priced generic cables. They are of a smaller gauge. They do not charge properly. I also found when backing up the Blackberry devices the generic cables are a bit slower. I am not saying all generic cable brands are bad. As for myself I will stay with the original.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.