Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
mocho
My Device: Playbook

Re: Lithium battery myths dispelled

Whatever you do, DO NOT put 12v into this battery or you could easily have a nasty fire to deal with!!!

A Lithium fire can not be put out by water!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
phoenixicez
My Device: Playbook

Tried that, holding power button down for over 15 seconds, and then holding down the power button and both volume buttons for over 15 seconds without power light blinking. Tried this with the charger and computer usb cable.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

From what I have done on a Playbook was to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds and release. I repeated this about every three minutes. After about 6 attempts the Playbook started to charge.

It is possible there is something that failed if the above does not work. I suggest to call tech support for the Playbook.

I found if the battery is allowed to go down to the point where the Playbook shuts off, it is difficult to get the charging cycle to re-start properly. Technically speaking RIM should fix this if possible.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ke4qdc
My Device: torch 9800 and Playbook

plug in the charger that came with it and leave it alone if its completely dead. Leave it alone for at least 2-3 hours
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Boxy7
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860/9850

I just said the same thing to my girlfriend about half an hour ago MiataMike...that the PlayBook should have a replaceable battery!! The reason for this is because my PlayBook is currently in getting fixed as it shut down on me completely after only one month and I assume that it had something to do with the Lithium Ion battery!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eskenazi369
My Device: Bb curve 8530 bb 32g playbook

Great info 

When I charge my playbook I usually start with it in standby mode and then power it off the green light will fade in and out when its fully charged the light goes to steady green so I'm a little confused when people say it cannot be charged with the playbook off. 

Can someone clarify this?

I.E.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

eskenazi369 wrote:
When I charge my playbook I usually start with it in standby mode and then power it off the green light will fade in and out when its fully charged the light goes to steady green so I'm a little confused when people say it cannot be charged with the playbook off. 

Can someone clarify this?

The confusion comes from two things:

1. Originally, the PlayBook actually would not start charging if plugged in while it was off.  This issue was corrected in an early update, probably within two months of the original launch in April 2011.

2. Now, although you can plug it in while it's off, it actually turns itself on and boots up into a special charging mode before it will really start charging.  The screen stays off and only part of the OS is running, but the LED activity is clear evidence (along with other data) which proves the device is not really "off" when it's charging this way.

The fact of the matter is that you can now plug it in whether it's off or on, and it will charge, unless there's something wrong with your charger or the PlayBook.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

even though the LED is glowing the device is actually in a partial on state to enable charging program to run

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eskenazi369
My Device: Bb curve 8530 bb 32g playbook

Thanks for clearing that up :smileyhappy:
I.E.
Please use plain text.