Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: Mtel

Re: Lithium battery myths dispelled

You need to have charger specially for that li-ion batt. Connect + and - if that method don't want to charge it either, you have to put it on normal charger but for a very short time. When you put voltmeter it should show something around 7 to 8.4 volts. If batt is lower then you need to wake it up for a very short time with other charger which is around that voltage. So when you remove charger batt will show bigger voltage. if it's above 7 it will charge normally. It's dangerous, I woke some batteries for secounds, so don't hold inappropriate charger for long time and watch voltage all the time. If it goes above 8.4 you should stop as it may explode. I have special charger and I set it to very low amperage so it's more safety.

If you like my answer, hit like.
Thanks!
Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g
My Carrier: wireless

how do you tell where to connect the battery + to - on the battery?
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Please be very careful with this

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Jump-start-a-PlayBook-a-knottyrope-tip/m-...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

69judge wrote:
how do you tell where to connect the battery + to - on the battery?

If you need to ask that question, best leave it alone. Lithium fires are not pleasant. 

"how do you tell where to connect the battery + to - on the battery?"

If you don't know that, please. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!

You can end very bad injured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Maybe you should tell him how to do it since this is a help forum
Contributor

Yeah,

and to burn alive, thanks but no.

If he does not know basic of electronics he need to start somewhere else with something easier. Ask google. And you need tools for that, you have to measure + or - but..... whatever I'm not helping guys wo jump on hardest part first. Some electricity guy should know better to bring that to him.

Thanks!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

No, I have to agree with Zvdo on this one. Anybody who has to ask about something like that isn't even qualified to be experimenting. At the very least, he could damage his battery or device. The worst case could be serious injury or potentially major property damage and death. No way anyone in here should be advising someone on this stuff other than to warn them away from it...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Without proper knowledge and being able to comply to proper charging parameters for the particular Lithium battery can be dangerous. Lithium, and NiCad batteries are particularly critical for rate of charge and temperature control during charge.

I know of the results from these types of batteries not being properly managed.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

When I was in highschool back in the 1960', one of the guys decided to design his own lead acid battery charger. He is lucky he tested it outside in his back yard and he was not near to it. The battery blew a big hole on its side. There was acid everywhere. It distroyed the grass and flowers. The yard had to be completely washed down and re-made over.

Apparently, over charging a lead acid battery can produce too much hydrogen dispersment. Along with the oxygent dispersment if there is some heat or a spark between the battery plates because of excessive charge current causing a breakdown the hydrogen gas can ignite. The result is easy to guess.

Lithium batteries are much more critical than lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries require a lot more abuse before giving way to distruction. Lithiums are very fast to react.
Jerry G.