Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
scelop
My Device: Playbook and 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Lithium battery myths dispelled

thanks...was looking at the app just before you responded..just downloaded it.

as for the battery life....my battery health reads 80%.  I can say that a 20% drop from 'new' or 'ideal' is very noticeable even though numerically that would still be characterized as a healthy battery.  I suppose it is because battery life always seems like the one thing that is not advancing fast enough in these smaller, smarter devices.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zvdo
My Device: None
My Carrier: Mtel

[ Edited ]

scelop,  No excact way as they come different. The new batteries are about the same mah, but not exactly. As this is device with soft there is no certan way to be used same energy twice. May be approximately. To be honest, what purpose does it have? Either way it last for some time and can be used or not, that's important I think. If you use it with everything turn on it will last less than in battery saving mode(less brightness, wifi off and so on). That's why peter9477 (great program by the way) has sometimes, in his expirements, better results than before discharging battery full. Because he used tablet in that saving mode and batt lasted longer. If he use method like before he will get same result. But important note here is that the battery is the same and only going to get old and no way going better. It just show that that same battery can be used longer with less energy discharging, which is obvious(no kick down on your car equals more fuel in tank). On the second question, I can change my battery, don't know for any store but you can try. If you have some skills. Not recomended, but not so scary. I don't think it's silly, battery cost much less that device and usually computer parts last long time. I got second phone battery on three phones. Everyone of them still working.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BlackBerry+PlayBook+Teardown/5265/1 I'm not sure that on year and a half you need a new one but may be I'm wrong. 

jarviser any number of likes can not give you playbook. They give reward point, I had some and I needed only one more like. I got water bottle and I have done other thing before.

Happy Christmas to everyone!!!

If you like my answer, hit like.
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

We actually pretty much all get an immediate 10% drop actually. New batteries are generally in the 90% ballpark, even straight from the manufacturer. If yours has enough cycles on it to have stabilized, and anything above about 30-40 is enough, then your 80% result is probably pretty reliable. It's a tad lower than most people have, so that might explain your perception it's relatively bad. In actual use it would lead to roughly one hour less on-time than someone with 90% would get, plus or minus a bit depending on how active that usage was.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zvdo

Healthy may mean that it's ok and still running. No problem and no danger like fire for you :smileyhappy: It can be healthy and 50% capacity I think they are different.
As for 10% drop from manufactures sounds strange. Or it stayed long time somewhere or may be we don't get good readings from software.
Is that 20% so important I aways get my way to some charger or usb before bat goes dead. I also use outside batt for different thing like torch, phone or tablet, when I go camping :smileyhappy:
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The 10% drop thing is not a "drop" per se, but simply how Lithium batteries are rated by the manufacturers, and how they change immediately after production. The battery manufacturers basically quote what are effectively very liberal nominal values that have only an approximate relationship to actual values.

They say "this is a 19.98Wh" battery and hand it to you. You immediately put it in a device and measure actual capacity, and you're very likely to see something closer to 18Wh. It might be 18.5Wh. In some few batteries it might be 19Wh. Statistically, it will almost never be very close to 19.98Wh.

This obviously suits the manufacturers just fine, but practically speaking, as a consumer, you should never use nominal values when you can get a real one.

Just another fact of life...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zvdo

[ Edited ]

Another fact I saw batteries with better Wh than should be. Really good quality ones. I can't believe RIM will use anything but good. May be not best but at least good one. I should measure my batt, but don't wanna open it for that, will think what other way there is.

Edit: Mine read 95% and 23 recharges. It's more than six months old and I finished asphalt 6 and modern combat, also some other games my girlfriend played for a small amount of time. I'm not sure if you can finish those two games with only 23 recharges but otherwise I don't use it a lot. I think something else as different ppl report diff health, one is new and get worse than other a year old. First your bat get whole capacity after few charges. It's ship with less than full for protecting and there is some special chemical (helps it to stay long time above zero V) which breaks when you charge it. May be there are diff version with diff bat. Like 3g model may be have diff space for batt. Or the company decided to use diff tipe of batteries. 

I just don't think they will label more capacity than actual like some new cheap china brand. So if there are diff tipes of bat, that program just calculate same thing for them which is wrong.

Can you add these stats to be visible on device screen instead of excel file (all of them, whatever you read from os)?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
69judge
My Device: playbook 16g
My Carrier: wireless

I HAVE A PLAYBOOK THAT WHEN YOU HOOK A RAPID CHARGER TO IT A RED LIGHT COMES ON . THEN GOES OUT  THE PLAYBOOKS TURNS ON . YOU CAN ONLY SEE IT IN THE DARK JUST A  FAINT LIGHTER SCREEN YOU CANT READ ANYTHING. THEN THE LED WILL TURNS  TO YELLOW AND PLUSE FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES THEN TURN OFF AFTER A FEWS DING SOUNDS. IF THE BATTERY IS TO LOW TO CHARGE WILL THE RAPID CHARGER HAVE POWER TO TURN IT ON COMPLETELY. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS WRONG? ALSO CAN YOU CHECK THE SCREEN BY THE HMDI WITH AN INPUT?

HELP LET ME KNOW

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zvdo

Wellcome,

you can't check screen.

Does the playbook work or don't wonna turn on?

"WILL THE RAPID CHARGER HAVE POWER TO TURN IT ON COMPLETELY" - to turn on playbook or to charge battery?

he batt have internal electronic which tell it when to charge so if it's dead no way to charge it with any charger as signal goes to electronics first.

I can fix it but that mean opening playbook.

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,890
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

69judge wrote:

I HAVE A PLAYBOOK THAT WHEN YOU HOOK A RAPID CHARGER TO IT A RED LIGHT COMES ON . THEN GOES OUT  THE PLAYBOOKS TURNS ON .

That's actually all good. LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

If you read this thread you would see that should start her up.

Please turn off your ALL CAPS key when typing in the forum, thanks.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
69judge
My Device: playbook 16g
My Carrier: wireless

thats no problem opening it i have had it open before . tell me what to do  to get it working

thanks. i thought of trying to charge the battery outside the playbook but i dont know how.

Please use plain text.