Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telcel (Mexico)

Re: Lithium battery myths dispelled

Can I use the same charger for my Bold 9700 to charge my playbook?
Regards,
Karim A. Harb
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Yes

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

The charger for your phone is only a 700 ma or 0.7 Amp charger. I believe there were some older ones that were at 800 ma. 

The Playbook charger that comes with it is rated to about 1800 ma or 1.8 Amps. The Playbook battery will not properly charge using the phone charger. It is too weak for the size of battery in the Playbook.  When you try it, you will see the Playbook will not properly charge even though the connector is the same and fits. I doubt you will even see the lightning symbol in the battery symbol when it is connected to the phone charger. 

You can purchase a spare pocket charger from Blackberry, or some stores that sell original Blackberry products. I bought a number of the larger quick chargers to leave at a number of locatioins that I go to frequently and want to charge my Playbook. They are a bit big for me to carry around with me everywhere I go.

I suggest to not buy a clone charger for the Blackberry device. I know of some people who tried them and ended up returning them. It is best and electrically safest for your device to use the original charger.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Super Contributor

But you can use that charger I do it all the time. Before I started doing it I called up Blackberry Playbook tech support and they said it was no problem to do so. The only thing is its going to charge the Playbook slower vs a Playbook charger for the reasons jerryg50 gave.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you
cuse165
Contributor

Here is the point. If I have to travel, do I have to bring with me both chargers (smartphone and playbook).
Regards,
Karim A. Harb
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

No it is safe to charge the BP with the BB charger I do and I made sure with RIM it was okay before I did. 

If you bring your laptop with you you can charge your BP and BB using the USB cable(thats not 1800 ma or 1.8 Amps like the PB charger) and it works and is fine.

If you would like to them to tell you it is okay give them a call.

Sometimes I feel better asking them myself questions vs forums so if your also that kind of person would just feels better coming from them give them a call.

Thank you
cuse165
Contributor

Thank you all guys.

So, my understanding is that I can use my BB charger to charge both my BB and BP; not the other way around. I mean, is not safe to charge my BB with my BP's charger. Correct?

Sorry guys if I am driving you crazy.

Regards,
Karim A. Harb
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the playbook charger can be used with your smartphone. it is listed as a smartphone rapid charger in the store. i have used it for a while with my torch with out issue.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor III

The Playbook pocket charger will charge both the phone or the Playbook.

In fact, the charger that comes with the Playbook would work like a fast charger for the phone. 

You cannot charge the Playbook with the charger that comes with the phone. It is underated to charge the Playbook. Only use the charger that came with the Playbook to charge the Playbook.

Also, It is difficult to charge the Playbook with the USB port on your computer. The computer USB port can only suppy up to 500 ma. The computer's USB port is actually slightly under rated to properly charge the phone. The recommended charge current for the phone is 700 ma. Charging the phone from a USB port will take about 20% longer. I do this often myself because it works safely with the phone.

If you read the specs on the label of the chargers, you will see the current rating. This is important to use the proper charger for the device in order to have proper and safe charging performance.

Because the charger for the phone is under rated to charge the Playbook, you can try it. After about 20 minutes if you put your hand on the charger you will feel that it is very warm compared to when it is charging the phone. Internally, it may be overheating its components due to the excessive load. You will also see the Playbook will not properly charge.

If you decide to buy spare chargers for the Playbook or the phone, only buy the original manufacture type. I know of cases where the clone chargers did not work properly.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

The Playbook pocket charger will charge both the phone or the Playbook.

In fact, the charger that comes with the Playbook would work like a fast charger for the phone. 

You cannot charge the Playbook with the charger that comes with the phone. It is underated to charge the Playbook. Only use the charger that came with the Playbook to charge the Playbook.

Also, it is not very good to charge the Playbook with the USB port on your computer. The computer USB port can only suppy up to 500 ma. The computer's USB port is actually slightly under rated to properly charge the phone. The recommended charge current for the phone is 700 ma. Charging the phone from a USB port will take about 20% longer. I do this often myself because it works safely with the phone.

If you read the specs on the label of the chargers, you will see the current rating. This is important to use the proper charger for the device in order to have proper and safe charging performance.  Just because the connectors are compatible, this does not mean the devices are electrically compatible.

Because the charger for the phone is under rated to charge the Playbook, you can sort of safely try it. After about 30 minutes if you put your hand on the charger you will feel that it is very warm compared to when it is charging the phone. Internally, it may be overheating its components due to the excessive load. You will also see the Playbook will not properly charge.

If you decide to buy spare chargers for the Playbook or the phone, only buy the original manufacture type. I know of cases where the clone chargers did not work properly.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.