Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
AlphonseDX
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Locked Bootloader

I'm fairly bad with computers, but I know just enough to get around. I checked and RIM forces their QNX operating system on the tablet, but I'm not sure for the reasoning and how long they plan to keep it this way; the device has amazing specifications, but variation is nice; responses would be great, thanks!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: Locked Bootloader

What question or problem do you want a response on?

________
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

I very much doubt you will see anything other than the RIM QMX os on the playbook in the same way you would not see anything other than iOS on an ipad. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AlphonseDX
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

Off of hard fact for a second, let's say they went bankrupt, all in hypotheticals, do you feel they would release anything for the bootloader? I mean, I enjoy the Playbook QNX OS, but not so much the application availability. Of course, these are all side questions that are more opinion directed than source, as I've seen developers here who might have a thing or two to say (of course, regular users who know more of RIM than I do are welcome, I don't know much).

Back on the simplist form of my question as well as a slight reiteration; has there been any statements made about the bootloader either officially or by a third party? I'd like to know the reasoning for locking it (my best guess is security).

Oh, and I'm not sure on the policies of this website, but I haven't seen anything stickied as rules, so I'll ask and redact this if requested. Is it physically possible to bypass the bootloader on this? As OpeniBoot did on iOS, should it not be possible to break the protection offered here? Or is there hardware restrictions in place as well.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

You are entitled to ask whatever you want, no need to remove it, it's just that most questions are in the league "i cant find my icon".   There is a developer forum section.

________
Please use plain text.