Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
lorphi
My Device: playbook and 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Loyal BB user about to give up

I have been a long time blackberry user. In fact I have promoted them for our entire organization and would say I was anti apple. The last year though has me now thinking whether I should move to ios or android devices. The reason why is basic. These are business tools and still can not use cisco webex or skype on the playbook. My users complain about how poor it is for non business items as well.
As the playbook is new I was patient as I purchased in the first week but blackberry has not provided significant upgrades. Worse they have promised the updates and continually failed. Remember Android apps, Skype, movies, etc. Now there is to be a huge upgrade in February and right now I fear not that it will not meet my expectations but that it will not occur at all.
Am I alone with this frustration or are others share my sentiments. On March 1st I will end my 5+ year loyalty and own a new tablet and phone and never come back if the company fails on their promises again.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Re: Loyal BB user about to give up

The entire future of the company is riding on the feb update. Hopefully the long wait was so they could get it perfect. If the intregration with android is flawless you should get everything you desire, because it will be an android tab with a bb homescreen. Which makes me wonder why I didn't buy android in the first place.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I understand your concern, but webex is a cisco issue. Your organization should ask cisco about this. Yes the update should fill alot of your needs, android apps should be supported that should fill the hole.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lorphi

I understand saying this is a Cisco issue, but it is a Blackberry issue as well. It is there responsibility to work with these organization to develop good apps for there device. It is a Skype issue, Netflix issue, Microsoft issue, etc... is the common theme but these tools are all available on other devices and as a user I look at I pay for a device and have expectations. Our organization should focus on the activities related to our business, it is more cost effective to buy the tool that meets our needs then chasing them to be developed.

To be frank Blackberry produced a very good piece of hardware, probably the best but is failing as they forgot the user and the software needed. Apple is leading the tablet market not just because of their effective marketing but they work with developers to provide so many software solutions. User do not havve to contact Skype or Cisco the tools are already there

Please use plain text.
Newday2
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I recently purchased the playbook banking on Feb. upgrades. I currently have concerns regarding droid apps and my experienced dificulties with being able to connect with wifi beyond my home. I called myself choosing the playbook over the pad thinking I'd be able to access wifi easily but i look at others with pads gaining access and me...I have to find someone to ask for codes to access. Not quite what I'd hoped for. I had a droid tablet...no problems...how the upgrade is the fix or I may have to join you and switch.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Newday2 wrote:
I recently purchased the playbook banking on Feb. upgrades. I currently have concerns regarding droid apps and my experienced dificulties with being able to connect with wifi beyond my home. I called myself choosing the playbook over the pad thinking I'd be able to access wifi easily but i look at others with pads gaining access and me...I have to find someone to ask for codes to access. Not quite what I'd hoped for. I had a droid tablet...no problems...how the upgrade is the fix or I may have to join you and switch.

spend 1 time fee for bluetooth tether bridge in app world works off your bb data plan.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mohdafifi
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: etisalat yae

i think Bp is only joke cannot compared with I pad at all.
it seems to me to sell my BP and buy even a used I pad.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
varun_kishor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

is there any sort of confirmation about the availability of Skype once PB OS 2.0 is out in Feb.?? Badly needed skype on PB as it was the main reason i bought it last month..

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lorphi

@ reconeyes,

Thank you for the link but this is my point. IPAD and Android user due not have to start petitions to get the apps they need. If Blackberry wants to have users stay or even return they must solve the issues. Would you buy a car if you had to have someone else design a radio for it or leather seats for it. Most people expect the company providing the device to ensure the software is available, this should not be a user issue

Please use plain text.