Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Llewellyn101
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: MTN
Accepted Solution

MKV's on the playbook

Is there a way to play MKV files on a playbook?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PunPryde
My Device: Curve 8530 / Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Telus

Re: MKV's on the playbook

that would be amazing
Please use plain text.
New Developer
MaxxJag
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 LE
My Carrier: Bell

Outright, not at the moment. you need to convert. 

MaxxWares.com
Current apps:
-BBOS 10-
MaxxTransit - Coming soon
Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

I just discovered this weekend that VLC does a nice job changing movie "containers" without having to re-encode anything.  I just go to the streaming/exporting wizard and change the .MKVs into .MOVs (which the PlayBook supports) in a few seconds.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

have you tried MP4? that should be a better format.

also a bunch of people I know reccomend hardbrake to reincode movies.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ulstr
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

VLC offers an easy solution, I am waiting/hoping there will be a streaming app soon that will work with my twonkey media server on my qnap NAS

Please use plain text.
Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you all for bringing the MKV issue to my attention. That's one more reason on my list why I'm not buying a PlayBook YET. As soon as this functionality is enabled (by RIM or a third party) that's one step closer to buying a PB :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

just a minor set back for me, i am converting all my vids to mp4 and calling it a day.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Changing the container for an MKV video is no more hassle than changing the container for a FLV downloaded from YouTube.

If there is anyone who likes the command line and has FFMPEG installed on their PC then this dies the trick nicely:

ffmpeg -i VID.FLV -vcodec copy -acodec copy OUTPUT.MP4

If you are copying the file to the PlayBook anyway - this is fairly trivial :smileyhappy:

Before people tell me the benefits of an MKV format - yes, I know but at least this gets the videos going with no loss of quality.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Kewl just found thier site, now just have to get home and try it.

http://ffmpeg.org/

Please use plain text.