Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Supperman
My Device: Curve 8350i + Playbook
My Carrier: Cricket
Accepted Solution

Many Problems, beginning with settings - Let's See You Fix

I know using a cable is one solution but I want to learn more about this tablet to be able to assist others, provide RIM or developers suggestions, etc. 

My first inquiry has to do with the file sharing protocols because I see an option in the storage part of the main menu that offers a WIRELESS ( WIFI ) connection but the details suggest that it applies to retrieving media FROM the Playbook when using another computer or machine but I want to be able to do the opposite, transfer a file from another device to my netpad. The point is that if you know whether this is possible then please post this information as a reply to this listing because I currently keep this feature off to provide additional security or to minimize any mistakes. 

A lot of electronics with Bluetooth allow you to copy or send pictures, songs and maybe even video between them when both are paired together but DOES THAT APPLY TO THE TECHNOLOGY on this webbook because I see the option to enable it ? 

I hope for a better description, in the boxes on the page, in the future if this is reverse compatibly engineered or designed, in reference to exchanging information. My other complaint on this subject would be about the lack of a external user accessible micro memory card, which would of been far easier than all the above to me. 

The last thing I want to mention has to do with these forums because I typed this one time earlier but received an error that erased everything and made me reenter my password, just to realize it failed to return me to the spot where I was - nor did trying the back button ( A Safety I Like Anyway ) on the browser. A automatic save would be a wonderful addition ! 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Many Problems, beginning with settings - Let's See You Fix

In answer to some of your questions:
File Sharing - If you have a wifi network, you can set it up so that each piece of hardware can see the files of all the others. You can then drag files back and forth to any of the others. ie. You can have various computers, memory sticks and PlayBooks all seeing each others files and drag anything anywhere.
Bluetooth- I don't use Bluetooth but I have connected my cell phone to my PlayBook as well as my GPS. However just because they see each other does not mean you can transfer data. Others in this forum may be BLESS to help you on this point.
Micro Memory Cards - These and memory sticks are the greatest source of viruses, computer corruption etc and BlackBerry is all about Security. You will not likely see this on the PlayBook until RIM can design in the security protocols to protect their systems.
I hope I have helped you with some of your concerns.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Supperman

[ Edited ]

A silly follow question just to confirm, but the content will REMAIN on the machine ( in my case the Playbook ) once you drag it from another device while using file sharing on a wireless network AFTER YOU DISCONNECT FROM THE CONNECTION ?

My next comment should hopefully restore your faith in me after the uncertainty in my rebuttal inquiry but I just want to mention that I fail to see a SIGNIFICANT difference in being infected with viruses from transferring media while using the above features or using a micro memory chip and no problem because I understand they probably review years of data to build their wonderful products, plan their design, choose their equipment, parts, protocols, procedures, etc. 

I got a couple final thoughts for you : The other major downfall which seemed more unusual to me was the lack of a user accessible mobile card for those of us who travel internationally because this seems not to pose a security threat AND LASTLY, RIM MAKES BETTER TECHNOLOGY THAN APPLE BUT LOSES A LOT OF THE RECOGNITION WITHOUT WALK IN COMPANY STORES WORLDWIDE.

Please pass on the message that I hope to see a laptop AND netbook ( only to enable more resources with the space compared to tablets ) made by this company some day in the near future, Christmas ?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

1. Yes the file remains on the device you drag it to.
2. Most viruses affect Windows. The PlayBook software is different and there are at present no known viruses on RIM products. Also there is no anti- virus software available because there are no viruses that attack the platform.
3.It is ok to dream. We all have them.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Supperman

I think you just steam rolled any chance of more debatable blabber I can think of with those facts that I failed to consider until you mentioned it.

Thanks for the information, reply, confirmation, thorough but simple solutions and advice because I shall try the file sharing tomorrow with hopes to be able to retrieve a file from my computer to my Playbook without the need of further assistance.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

There is an excellent feature called Print to Go on the PlayBook. If you have selected file on your computer, you can select Print to Go as one of your printers. When sent the file is converted to a PDF and sent via wifi to your PlayBook. There is a Print to Go. Folder on your Playbook and that is where the file appears.
Several people have had problems with it. Most problems are caused by the wifi signal with the file being sent to their fax spooler. So if this applies to you, disable your fax spooler before hand.
Anyway, if you have problems, there is some very sharp people on the forum who can help you out.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Supperman

I almost deleted Print to Go because I read a little about it and thought - Never going to need it. The icon is in fact moved to the very bottom of my screen after everything else except Blackberry News, Press Reader and Zinio. ( A few I chose unnecessary for me because I can find a way to the information it offers in other ways like going to the RIM site or a media webpage for that information )

My point is the idea you mentioned seems like a interesting idea IF I EXPERIENCE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THE OTHERS.

Thanks because it makes the whole process more interesting to me when there are more ways than one to cook an egg.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Here is a copy of the Print to Go installation procedure I wrote up to help users. Mine installed correctly, first time and it works great.

Installing “Print To Go” on your PC System

Print to Go is a small software program that will allow any document on your computer to be sent to your PlayBook by wifi. To install successfully, your PlayBook must be connected to your wifi network along with your computer. RIM recommends that Anti-virus software be disabled during the installation. Some people running WIN7 report they are able to send a document but it does not show up on the PB. Some report that AVG Software (anti- virus) causes problems with Print to go. Key is how you disable AVG. You have to go into Tools, Advance Settings, and then "Temporarily disable AVG Protection" on the left. Others have found that the Fax Spooler has to be disabled in order to install Print to Go successfully. Several users report problems caused by the Fax Spooler. The files they sent ended up in the Fax Spooler rather than the PlayBook. They disabled the Fax Spooler during the installation of PTG. It may also be a good idea to disconnect your cell phone and shutoff Bluetooth during the installation process.

Download the Print to Go program from the RIM download centre and install it on your computer. The program is 22 mb in size and took me 11 minutes to download.
After it downloads, click on the Install button to install it on your computer.
After installing on your computer, go to Start, Click on Printers and Faxes (I have XP Pro) and check to see if “Print to Go” is present as a printer along with your other printers.
Now try and Print any document. Select a file on your computer. In the process, select “Print to Go” as your printer. Do this on your computer. The file is converted to a. pdf file.
You will now be asked to enter your BlackBerry ID and Password on your computer in order to continue.
Go to your PlayBook and Tap the “Print to Go” icon. When it opens, Swipe down from the top. Tap the Settings Gear and a special “Desk Top Pairing Password” is shown. Write this down (it is very secure, case sensitive etc) and enter it exactly on the Computer Screen.
Your PlayBook may receive an alert that a message has been sent. Tap on the message and Voila, your file opens on PlayBook, and is placed in the Adobe Reader folder. If you do not get the message indicator, Open Print to Go and check the "Today" Folder or check in Adobe Reader.
If the process fails, reboot both the computer and PB and try sending another document to the PB.
NOTE: Some users have had problems sending files where the file name begins with something other than a letter.
Very simple process. Took me a total of at least 17 minutes to do. Works Great.
Please use plain text.