Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry. PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Media Error when fast forwarding downloaded videos from Video Store

I can't fast forward videos I have purchased and downloaded from the Video Store.  I get the error message "Media error please try again." When I click OK the video closes. This is very frustrating since the video player does not recognize and remember where you left off when you restart it. For a 2 hour movie, I have to watch the whole thing again.  Is this a known issue or is there some issue with my PlayBook?   I have a 32 gig Playbook, brand new with OS 2.1. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Re: Media Error when fast forwarding downloaded videos from Video Store

This happens to me when a video is not properly downloaded. In effect, the file is not complete even though the download appears to have been successful and the file information shows that the full length is there. I check downloaded videos first by dragging the video slider button left to right and observing if the video moves forward. If the image freezes at a certain point, I know the video is incomplete. If I release the video slider button at that point, the player gives an error and closes. The only solution then is to get a complete downloaded file.

The only other easy check to see if you in fact have the entire video is to check the file size. If it is much less than the advertised size of file from the store, then the file definitely did not download completely.
PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
New Contributor

Thanks. I've tried downloading several times and only one of my downloads has not had the same problem.  A few times the video store crashed during the download. But even when it didn't , I still couldn't fast forward 

Trusted Contributor

Ok, sounds like the files are not downloading properly. I'm not familiar enough with your particular store to be able to make any more suggestions..
PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
New Contributor

I'm using the Blackberry Video Store that was pre-loaded in my PlayBook
Trusted Contributor

I had a look at that.  The video store is operated by a U.S. enterprise in agreement with BlackBerry.  As best as I can tell, the videos download same as any download over the internet.  The problem I have with the current native browser and its capacity to download is that more often than not, depending on the website, the download quits partway but I still get a message hat the download has been completed.  Sometimes I have to retry the download five or six times before I get the whole file.

All I can suggest is the use of a file download manager.  There are a couple in the app store. I don't know how well one of them might work in the case of a video purchased from an online store.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
New Contributor

Thanks. I'll look into that. The problem seems to be a big one if the native browser has such a problem downloading. It would affect many other apps. Who wants to have to try five or six times to download a file? At the least they could extend the timeout and probably help.