Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
alouw
My Device: Playbook & Torch

Minor things, but like them to be resolved in update

[ Edited ]

Hi,

After working with the playbook for about a week now, I surely like the product.

Screen orientation

There's one major thing bothering me, which I assume would be considered a bug, that's when the screen get locked with a password, the orientation is kept to the state when it's locked.

So, if I lock the screen in landscape, unlocking will have to be done in landscape - it would be more efficient if the orientation was checked before displaying the unlock screen.

Phone Profile

Another thing I'd really like added is the ability to set the phone profile from the playbook. When in a meeting my phone usually remains in my coat or bag and it would be extremely useful when I could control the profile and set it so 'silent' from the playbook and after the meeting be able to set it to 'normal' or another profile.

Garbled Screen

There's also a small glitch in the 'open programs' when going through the list it sometimes scrambles the display of a program. It's a bit hard to describe so it's an issue, but I can't describe it good enough to call it a bug.

Message Notification

On bridge connection when a new message arrives the notification works briliant. But, then I delete the message without marking it as read, the notification remains in the top bar. (It does mention there's no new messages, but it should not remain there).

Youtube player

The provided youtube player doesn't work for me. After connecting to wifi the player can find videos but always shows 0:00 from 0:00 or video not available. If I use the browser to connect to youtube all works fine.

I just hope RIM would pick these things up in a future update. The product is quite briliant as it is right now, but these minor things would just make it better.

Thanks,

Albert Louw

Just an edit; I'm on 1.0.6.2390

Contributor
Proton2
My Device: Playbook wifi 64GB

Re: Minor things, but like them to be resolved in update

Garbled Screen:
If you have the application behavior to paused in the [general settings - set the behavior of applications in the background], they can not update their display when not active.
Youtube player:
Works just fine on my PlayBook.
New Contributor
alouw

Hi Proton2,

Just to update some details;

Garbled Screen is when 'default' behaviour is on, it's not on paused (general settings -> background behaviour)

The YouTube app did work with some videos but not with others (that's what I found out after your reply).

I tried first Laibach - the universe and it would not go (Browser works fine) after your reply I tried Linkin Park - Numb and that worked.

Leaving me to think that there's something with certain video clips that cause the player not to function.

Greeting,

albert

Contributor
Austen
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700/ Playbook 64GB

am suffering from the same bbm glitch and its very annoying ... since it keeps saying u have an unread msg but as a matter of fact there isnt ...

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

First off you need to search the boards prior to posting.
The mail notification has been addressed several times. The screen orientation is not an issue, youtube is fine just the way it is, The phone profile would be good addition but u can put it to silent mode prior to your meeting
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
alouw

Hi Aandras,

I can't agree with you on these point, but if everything is working fine for you that's great.

The orientation is an issue to me (I'm not good in typing upside down - especially passwords), youtube is not working in the way it does with the browser - so there's something not right.

The mail notification and BBM notification is mentioned before, but still exists after some updates, therefore still an issue.

Your response does not explain to me why the things I mention as issue are not an issue. If you're sure it's working perfectly you should mention why or at least explain some more. Not just dismiss it without remark (that more the response of a poor helpdesk).

I'd like to see that RIM does it's best to make the Playbook a good product and these things will improve it.

Contributor
Proton2
My Device: Playbook wifi 64GB

Youtube player:

I have forgotten that sometimes the Youtube player will say video not available, or something like that, but then trying again it will work. So far every video I have tried watching was successfully displayed, though not always at first.

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

The last update, for me anyway, fixed the BBM and message notification bug. The youtube player has been working flawlessly since it came out. The screen orientation I can agree on. My Xoom when locked adjusted to the orientation that you try to unlock.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor
skypara
My Device: Blackberry Bold 2 9780

The message synch is not completely fixed.

Now if I receive an e-mail on both devices and delete it on my phone (BB 9780) the playbook still shows e-mail in the notification field even thoug this e-mail should be gone. And while in the playbook message inbox the mail is gone the notification field still shows the incomming mail notification. Same applies for the BBM messages.

Cheers,
Martin

Blackberry 9780 OS 6.0 subscribed on Etisalat (UAE) network
Blackberry Playbook OS 1.0.6
Contributor
Austen
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700/ Playbook 64GB

Hi aandras,

what update are you talking about exactly? i have the latest update and still suffering from this issue,

best,