Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Graham9
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

Movies on the 64GB Playbook

I have finally found a use for this unwanted Xmas gift Playbook. I can play .avi Mpeg2 movies which I keep on my media player.

This I can use on long airplane flights, but I have noticed that when you copy a film across, it holds three copies of the film One is in Videos and another two copies in the Andriod folder. This obviously means my 64GB is rapidly going to fill and without means of external storeage, my PB is of limited use. I can't use a wifi HD on a plane, so I will need one connected to the USB.

Questions are 1. Why does my PB keep three copies of the same file in different places. 2. Where can I get a cable HD which I can plug in with the aggro of hacking and changing stuff just to make it work.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Movies on the 64GB Playbook

[ Edited ]

You wont run out of room. The Android one is an ALIAS which is essentially a shortcut or pointer. It has no effect on the memory size (hard drive size) of the device. Don't ask me why this is, but that's how the Android file system is used. You only have ONE copy of the movie on your system...not two.

I first thought this was the case myself but if you delete either version of your movie, it will delete BOTH instances...one's simply a shortcut to the REAL movie file on the PlayBook OS side of things...

So don't panic. Your space allocation is not affected. Don't believe me? Delete the Android instance and then go look for your original movie...I promise you it won't be there.

Graham9 wrote:

I have finally found a use for this unwanted Xmas gift Playbook. I can play .avi Mpeg2 movies which I keep on my media player.

This I can use on long airplane flights, but I have noticed that when you copy a film across, it holds three copies of the film One is in Videos and another two copies in the Andriod folder. This obviously means my 64GB is rapidly going to fill and without means of external storeage, my PB is of limited use. I can't use a wifi HD on a plane, so I will need one connected to the USB.

Questions are 1. Why does my PB keep three copies of the same file in different places. 2. Where can I get a cable HD which I can plug in with the aggro of hacking and changing stuff just to make it work.

Please use plain text.