Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
DLui64
My Device: Z30 STA100-5; previously Z10 STL100-3

My BlackBerry PlayBook won't charge when connected to the computer via the micro-USB to USB cable

Can anybody help me? I don't know why but lately, when I try to plug my BlackBerry PlayBook into my Windows 7 laptop using the micro-USB to USB cable, it connects to my computer without any problems but it won't charge. Instead, I get a notification in the top left corner saying "Unable to charge battery with connected sorce". I have four USB ports and I'm positive that they work just fine because I plugged in some of the USBs I own into each of those four ports and they recognized the USBs without any issues. Does anybody know how I can resolve this issue? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: My BlackBerry PlayBook won't charge when connected to the computer via the micro-USB to USB cable

[ Edited ]

The notification is by design and was added to clarify that USB charging is not to be relied upon as a main method of charging. Instead RIM's good intention has caused confusion.

USB (by design) can not provide the amount of power the device needs while it's being used. Technically, it is still trickle charging but the screen has to be off (and I'd turn off Wi-Fi too) since they are high power draining items.  I have verified that the PlayBook does indeed still charge but it takes much, much longer than plugging it into a wall charger or rapid charger. In a crunch it will work but the computer has to be on the entire time. A full charge would take many hours.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DLui64

Re: My BlackBerry PlayBook won't charge when connected to the computer via the micro-USB to USB cable

There's one thing that I forgot to mention when I initially posted my question: my PlayBook was still able to charge when connected to my computer via USB cable as far back as mid-June this year. However, lately, whenever I connect my Playbook to the computer, the computer recognizes the tablet but it doesn't charge the tablet. That's my biggest concern.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Original_Lucy
My Device: BB ZED 10

It is as the previous poster said, the playbook will charge over usb, but, verrrrry slowly. If you left it plugged in and your computer on, then you may have a full charge by morning. I don't know if I have ever  received the "source is not sufficient to charge your device message" or if the message just comes up now. Either way, just a trickle.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DLui64

I understand that the Playbook will charge over USB even if it charges really slowly but in my case, the Playbook isn't charging over USB and I'm trying to find a solution to fix that if there is any. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

Why not just charge the bloody thing like it is supposed to be?  Like from the OEM charger or a rapid charger.  Square pegs, round holes type thing.

:No:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brodymac95
My Device: Playbook Wi-Fi 64GB

If you get a notification saying that it is not able to charge battery with connected source (laptop). Then it really is "Trinkle Charging" the device. If that notification isn't showing up, but is still able to have the files browsed on the tablet via laptop then you have an issue.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TiaraD
My Device: PlayBook

Brodymac95 wrote:
If you get a notification saying that it is not able to charge battery with connected source (laptop). Then it really is "Trinkle Charging" the device. If that notification isn't showing up, but is still able to have the files browsed on the tablet via laptop then you have an issue.

I am able to have files browsed on tablet via laptop... Please explain what could be the issue.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB

TiaraD...you really should start your own thread for a new problem and not piggyback on someone elses..very hard for those who help to keep several people answered with different problems on the same thread..thanks

Gene
Please use plain text.