Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
Accepted Solution

My Blackberry Tablet was forced to upgrade and lost everythin

Has this happened to anyone?

I have been using the Blackberry Playbook for 3 months now and have setup everything and synced it to the desktop before. Just recently, I plugged it into the computer to sync pictures and such but it could not connect but asked to upgrade (note, a few weeks ago I had already updated the OS). After the update, it reset and asked to setup the Playbook as if I had just bought it. After setting it up again all of my videos, pictures, music, contacts, and applications were gone!! There seems to be no way for me to recover.

Also, I made sure that the Playbook did not shut down or get disconnected from the computer or the network while the upgrade was in progress.

I don't think that I will continue to use the Playbook at the risk of losing everything again. I had my baby's first crawl and many other important memories on there.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbox

Re: My Blackberry Tablet was forced to upgrade and lost everythin

That is terrible. I've since moved a few things from my playbook to my storage space after reading a few earlier horror stories like yours.
I havent even upgraded to the new os yet partly because of some of the poor user experiences that I've read.
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

That's awful news!

I'm afraid that it sounds like you have inadvertently activated the debrick process which is what activates when the Desktop Manager cannot connect properly to the PlayBook. 

Although the dialog says 'upgrade' it does also warn you that this will return the PlayBook to factory defaults. 

All I can suggest is to keep regular backups and keep updates to on the device only.

I hope this gives you some peace of mind of what happened. 

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi Dshanty,

Thanks for the sentiment. It was pretty disappointing. I hope that this does not happen to anyone else.

New Contributor

Thanks John,

It actually does give me peace of mind to know what may have happened. I must have missed the part where it warns about the factory defaults. I will have to find out why my Playbook will no longer connect. Again, thanks for taking the time mention the debrick process.

New Contributor

You didn't "miss" anything.

I had the exact same thing happen.  I was trying to back up my playbook as I had an app that I used for time records on work projects.  I had jotted down the time info but not the details of my work before trying the backup.  What I never thought to do was to email all my pictures and videos of my puppy on his last days with me before I had to put him to sleep. 

I tried to run the backup and it eventually advised me there was an error.  I tried several times to re-run the backup but it wouldn't allow me to.  I followed the instructions on the screen telling me to shut down the playbook (it had already shut itself down) and then turn it back on.  I turned it on and there was nothing to advise me it was about to re-set.  

I was a HUGE Blackberry and RIM supporter.  After this devastation, I am re-thinking my choices.  My phone is due to be upgraded and only because I haven't had the time, have I not gone in to upgrade to the Torch.  With RIM so casually allowing things to change like this (reading all the other problems after upgrading) I am not prepared to take a risk on their other products.  

You say you have peace of mind knowing what might have happened.  I don't - not in the least.  There should have been a large screen warning of some sort.  A client of mine has all his company presentations on his Playbook.  For him to lose information the way I did would very well cause a great loss to his company.

What I cannot get over is that I was trying to do the very thing that I needed to do to prevent a loss - simply to back up my Playbook.  Unless someone can advise me of a fix for this - those precious memories are gone forever and my heart is broken.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I too lost all my stuff and i know about the debrick process but I clicked on upgrade after OS 2 was installed.Thought it needed one more step  and thought nothing of it. poof all is gone.

I now use WiFi with file sharing to backup my playbook data. Desktop Software 7.0 has a warning in it. 6.0 did not really have one.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

My Device: Playbook

I recently experienced the samething with my playbook.  My playbook was unresponsive an was forced to update before I could access it, once that happened I lost everything pictures note the whole thing.  It started from scratch.  My pictures of my son where the most important.  I'm hoping that I can find account info for a app called Dbase but even with that info not totally sure if I used there backup option.  This has made me think twice about ever buying BB devices again since this mishap I have switched my phone to a nokia now I just need to find a buyer for my playbook then I'm done with BB :Dots:

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

blaming anyone else but yourself, for your lack of a backup plan is a pathetic and poor excuse

good luck

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Knottyrope - My problem was:  I WAS trying to back up the playbook!  It gave me an "backup error" message and when I followed the instructions (although the PB was already turned off I simply turned it back on) it automatically updated without any message indicating it would do so.

My complaint is that I had no warning of any sort - it did not advise me that if I continued it would update and I could possibly lose files.  I have had a warning like this on many other programs but not this time for my PB.  I would have not continued and would have cancelled the update. 

I would have sought out a professional to get my pictures off before proceeding with any kind of an update.  As it is, I am probably going to seek the help of a company in the US (I'm in Canada - right in the city RIM is) to see if they can restore anything; that's how important these pictures are to me.

If we had proceeded after being warned I would say you have the right to tell us we're pathetic.  But I'm sorry - I think we have every right to complain about how this updated.  I still can't believe something so simple went unchecked by a major company such as RIM.