Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Jacko290697
My Device: blackberry playbook 32gb, blackberry 8520 curve
My Carrier: orange

My brother and I both have many problems with our playbooks.

First of all my playbook used to connect to my computer and I soon put all my music and videos onto my tablet, then for some reason it wouldn't connect, it shows up in desktop manager as connecting, my playbook says it is connected, but then it says that desktop manager could connect to the device and it doesn't show up as a drive, I have updated it, deleted everything and started again but it still will not connect. My brothers playbook has the same problems as the above but some of the apps don't seem to work anymore, they open for about 1 second then shut down, I am very disappointed as I have only had these since Christmas, I cannot find any help anywhere, so I would appreciate it if you could give me some.

Thanks Jack

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: My brother and I both have many problems with our playbooks.

Check your computers and make sure all their files are updated. If you have PC' s go to The Microsoft Updates Site and get all Critical and Optional Files updated. Also install the latest BlackBerry DM from RIM's home Page. Reboot both the computer as well as the PlayBook and try it again.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jacko290697

I updated all the files for my computer fully even the optional ones, I downloaded the latest desktop manager and then I completely reinstalled os on my playbook and it got to the end of the download and still wont connect, it is saying the desktop loader is unable to connect to the device you may need to enter the password but I don't have a password on it.

Could you give me some other suggestions please

thanks jack

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Jack this is a problem with Windows networking, quite common. You need to tell us what version of Windows you are running before someone can guide you round it.

The remedies are different for XP, Win7 and Win8.  Come back and hopefully someone will offer advice about opening up all the networking, (netbios etc) options.

I have a Mac - can't help.

See also here 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Playbook-connects-but-does-not-communicat...

Jack,
On the PlayBook, tap the white gear, top right corner, then scroll down in the pane on the left side to Storage & Sharing. Make sure File Sharing is turned ON if you connect by usb cable or WiFi Sharing if connecting via router. There may be a password for WiFi sharing if you use one which you will have to enter. All check these items and let us know.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jacko290697

Sorry im using windows 7 for anyone that would like to know

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Jacko290697 wrote:

Sorry im using windows 7 for anyone that would like to know

Ok, check the previous two postings .

Jack,
Here is a slightly different way to accomplish the same thing. Reboot your router before you start.

1. Setup and turn on all your equipment to run on your wifi network . On the PlayBook you want to get its IP Address and write it down on a piece of paper. This number can vary each time so it is best to get the info just before you start. On the PlayBook go to the settings Gear icon (top right of screen) and tap Storage and Sharing. Toggle on the WiFi Sharing. Remember to toggle it off when you are finished or you can set a password to keep hackers out. Then go to the top of the left pane to "About". In the right pane tap the dropdown arrow and select " Network". Go to the line IPv4 and write the IP address on a piece of paper. It should look something like this 192.168.0.100.

2. On your computer, click on Start, Click on My Computer. In the address line at the top of the page, clear it and enter two back slashes such as \\ followed by the IP Address of the PlayBook. So the line should look like \\192.168.0.100 and then press enter. In a short time it should read the directory of the PlayBook. Click Media and it will show all your subdirectories. At this point you can open the music directories of your computer and drag all the music you want over to the PlayBook. Place it in the Music directory. Pictures will go into the camera directory, movies to the video directory. Documents to your document directory.

3. If you transfer any music, at this point you can go to the PlayBook and try playing some music to see if it works. I have converted all my music to MP3 format on my laptop and then transferred it by wifi to my PlayBook. It will only allow you to transfer 5000 selections if I remember correctly.

4. You can exit your laptop and on your Playbook go to settings/ storage and Sharing and toggle off WiFi sharing or put a password on it.
Please use plain text.